SR-22 rates in Missouri will differ based on the insurance company you use and your personal driving record and history. But knowing how to get SR22 insurance will help you to most efficiently try to handle your auto insurance issue. This particular form is usually required after an alcohol- or drug-related driving offense. While SR22 is not a type of actual insurance, it is a specific form your automobile insurance company will have to provide to the state as proof of your qualified liability coverage. The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) handles all driving issues and determines who needs SR22 insurance based on specific violations or accidents while uninsured.

Missouri law requires all drivers – even nonresidents – who drive within the state to carry a certain level of liability insurance coverage. Without that coverage, an accident can mean even more problems for your driving record and insurance costs. You will have to obtain your SR22 insurance quotes from your current provider or from any other potential providers if you currently hold no insurance policy. Find out more below.

What is Missouri SR22 insurance?

SR22 insurance in Missouri proves that a driver holds the minimum required liability coverage to meet the state’s mandatory insurance requirements. You will likely be required to provide an SR22 form after having a legal issue related to an accident while uninsured or an alcohol- or drug-related driving issue.

The SR-22 proves that you hold the mandatory coverage for the necessary period of time, based on your exact infraction. All drivers in Missouri are required to hold the following levels of liability coverage:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $10,000 per accident for property

You must also have uninsured motorist coverage with the following minimums:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury per accident

Who needs SR22 insurance in Missouri?

SR-22 insurance in MO is required of several different groups of drivers who have committed certain violations or who have otherwise failed to meet requirements of Missouri drivers. Anyone meeting the following conditions will be required to submit an SR-22 form:

  • Insurance Violations: If you have been driving without the mandatory insurance required by the state of Missouri, your license can be suspended or revoked and you will have to file the SR22 to try to reinstate your driving privileges. You will have to maintain your insurance level on file with the Driver License Bureau for three years from the date you were eligible to reinstate. That filing must be an SR22 form if your insurance-related suspension was related to an accident.
  • Alcohol Offenses: If you are a minor suspended for a first-time offense with a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.020% or more, then you are not required to file the SR-22. All others must file it for two years from the date of the license suspension or revocation.
  • Moving Violations: If your driver’s license is suspended for a moving violation like speeding or careless driving, you will be required to file the SR22 with the Driver License Bureau for two years starting after your suspension is over.
  • Motor Vehicle Accident Judgment (in or out of state): If the court has found you to be at-fault in an accident, you will be ordered to pay any costs incurred. You must also file an SR22 and maintain that proof of liability insurance for two years from the date of your suspension or revocation.
  • Substance-Related Offenses: If you have refused to take an alcohol or drug test, you will lose your driving privileges in MO for one full year. You will have to file the SR22 form and also install the Ignition Interlock Device (IID) and meet all other requirements in order to apply for a Limited Driving Privilege (LDP) license during that time, if you require it.

Note that even if you do not own a vehicle, you still need to obtain non-owner’s SR22 coverage and file the appropriate paperwork as proof of your sufficient coverage.

Reinstating Driving Privileges With SR22 in Missouri

To prove your liability insurance coverage, your insurance company is required to submit the SR22 for you. An insurance card is sometimes sufficient to prove your coverage, but not always. In addition to filing your MO SR-22 form, you need to pay your reinstatement fee according to the current payment schedule. You cannot pay your reinstatement fee at a local license office. You must submit the fee to the Central Office address in Jefferson City. You can pay by mail, in person at the central office or by phone.

In order to reinstate your driving privileges after filing the SR22, you will also have to meet the requirements specific to your violation. If this was not your first alcohol- or drug-related issue, then you will have to install the IID as required by law. You must meet all requirements for using the device and having it monitored sufficiently. You will also have to prove that you completed the Substance Abuse Traffic Offender Program (SATOP) as required by law.

How to Get SR22 Insurance in Missouri

Contacting any current insurance provider you use is the first step in how to get SR-22 insurance in Missouri. Again, the SR-22 is not an actual type of insurance, but rather a form that your insurance provider must submit to the central office in Jefferson City by mail or fax to prove that you meet the mandatory liability insurance requirements.

When discussing your SR22 form with insurance companies, note that the form might also be called a certificate of insurance or a financial responsibility form. If you do not have any insurance provider at all, you should shop around for the best rates you can find, because now that you have had a driving violation on record, your insurance rates will certainly increase. It is always a good idea to shop around, even if you already have a provider.

Penalties for Not Filing an SR22 Form in Missouri

Failing to file the SR-22 in Missouri means that you cannot reinstate any of your driving privileges. As a basic requirement for reinstatement, you must submit your proof of liability coverage in order to regain any licensing options. Note that you only need to file one SR22 form in Missouri, regardless of how many reasons the state provides for why you lost your driving privileges.

Last updated on Wednesday, October 14 2020.