Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
A certificate of title issued by the state of Missouri is a document that proves legal ownership of a vehicle. A title must be obtained when an individual purchases a new vehicle. A title transfer must also be completed when a used vehicle is sold or gifted, or when a vehicle changes hands as a result of the death of the vehicle's owner. In Missouri, a vehicle should be titled within 30 days after purchase.
OBTAINING A TITLE FOR A NEW VEHICLE:
For new vehicles, the licensed dealer that sold the vehicle typically will accept and submit the required titling information and fees on behalf of the buyer. However, buyers wishing to handle the titling independently can do so. Those interested in applying for a new title without the dealer's assistance should refer to the Motor Vehicle Titling and Buying a Vehicle pages on the Department of Revenue (DOR) website.
TRANSFERRING A TITLE ON A USED VEHICLE:
Sale/Purchase or Gift of a Used Vehicle
When you purchase a used vehicle, or obtain one as a gift, the title must be legally transferred into your name. This is done by obtaining the following documents, and submitting them along with the appropriate fees to the DOR office:
- The current title signed by the seller or donor (signing the title over to you). The title must include the federal odometer disclosure, if the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- An Odometer Disclosure Statement, if the title does not include this information and the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- A completed Application for Missouri Title and License (DOR-108) form
- If applicable, the original or copy of the vehicle's financing statement, security agreement or Lien Release form, which is available at the DOR contract offices.
Along with the appropriate transfer of title documents above, you will need to submit the following fees:
- $8.50 title fee
- $2.50 title processing fee
- 4.225% state sales tax on purchase price
- local county sales tax on purchase price, depending on county of residence
Contact the local here to calculate the correct amount due.
Acceptable methods of payment are money order or check (with name, address, driver license number, date of birth and daytime phone number) made payable to âMissouri Department of Revenue'. Cash is also accepted when applying in person.
Transfer of Title Following Death of Vehicle Owner
In the event of the death of the vehicle owner, the title is often transferred to the heirs or someone else identified in the owner's will. The procedures and fees for this type of transfer are similar to those outlined above. In addition, it is important to determine how the estate of the deceased has been settled by the heir(s).
In some cases, the heirs may need to provide copies of court orders, the death certificate and the will (or a notarized statement of its contents), if there is one.
For more information on title transfers following the death of a vehicle owner, refer to the Title Manual on the DOR website or contact your DOR contract office.
Appropriate title transfer documents and fees should be submitted to the DOR contract office or mailed to the headquarters office:
Motor Vehicle Bureau P.O. Box 100 Jefferson City, MO 65105-0100
- Contact the local DOR contract office if you wish to add, remove or change a name on a vehicle title for reason other than those discussed above.
- If there is an existing lien on the vehicle, there will be additional requirements for transferring the title.
- A valid title provides proof of ownership of the vehicle. However, remember that a title transfer does not entitle the new owner(s) to legally operate the vehicle. For this, refer to the appropriate license and registration information.