A car title is an important document that proves who owns a vehicle. Whenever a vehicle is bought or sold from an existing owner, that vehicle’s title must also be transferred to the new owner. Most states do not offer an online title transfer option. However, you can obtain online assistance to help you transfer ownership of a vehicle either as a seller or buyer. This will help you be prepared when it comes time to buy or selling a car, allowing you to have the smoothest experience possible. Our online guide will provide you with information on the forms you will need, the required fees and the specific guidelines that your state implements when transferring a vehicle title.

2. By Mail

Some states allow their residents to transfer a vehicle title by mail, but these states may have certain eligibility requirements and limitations involved with this option. If you need to have a title immediately, attempting to transfer a car title by mail may not be the best option for you. You will have to wait for the postal service to deliver your request to the DMV and then wait for the postal service to deliver your new title to you. Payment options are usually limited with mail-in transfers.

3. In Person at the DMV

The most direct way to transfer your vehicle title is in person at a DMV office. There are several states that actually require their residents to transfer their titles in person and do not offer online or mail-in options. Additionally, not all states offer title services through their DMV sites. As such, it is important for you to be prepared and know where you can transfer your vehicle titles. Our online guide offers all the information you need to transfer a vehicle to a new owner.

A car title transfer in Texas must be performed when individuals are buying or selling a motor vehicle and transferring the ownership rights over the vehicle. Title transfers for cars must be completed by using the available methods offered by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Motorists need to satisfy a set of predetermined title transfer requirements in order to successfully complete the procedure.

If you are wondering how do you transfer a title on a car in Texas you need to know that part of the procedure is to submit certain documentation to the DMV and pay the required fees. You should note that although some states may allow title transfer online, Texas does not. For more information about how to fill out transfer of title in Texas, you are highly recommended to continue reviewing the sections below.

What is a car title transfer in Texas?

Motorists who are wondering, “How do you transfer a title on a car in Texas?” must first learn what a certificate of title is and when it may be used. Car title is actually a legal document issued by the TX DMV which contains important information about the motor vehicle and which may be used as proof of ownership.

A car title transfer in TX is a procedure that motorists need to perform in order to transfer the ownership rights over a motor vehicle to another legal entity. Vehicle owners who want to perform title transfers for cars in Texas are encouraged to discover the reasons why a title is being transferred and then complete a title transfer procedure.

When is a vehicle title transfer required in Texas?

A Texas car title transfer procedure may be performed in various occasions and under certain circumstances. Motorists may be able to perform a mandatory vehicle title transfer procedure when they are:

  • Selling a vehicle
  • Buying a vehicle
  • Receiving a vehicle as a gift
  • Inheriting after a divorce or after the death of a spouse

A transfer of car title is required in all of these situations and motorists need to perform a procedure through the TX DMV, according to the specific circumstances. To find out more information about when and how to fill out transfer of title in Texas, contact the TX DMV and receive a detailed description of the procedure.

Information and Documents Necessary to Transfer a Title in Texas

When transferring a car title in Texas, motorists need to prepare certain documents that hold the important information needed for the procedure. To perform a transfer of car title, individuals may have to provide the following documents:

  • Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification (form VTR-346)
  • Certificate of title assigned to the buyer
  • Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (form 130-U)
  • Release of lien, if applicable
  • Power of attorney, if needed
  • Proof of liability car insurance
  • Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR), if a record of current inspection is not available

In addition to the above-listed documents needed for a car title transfer in Texas, motorists may be required to provide a bill of sale and other documents, which may vary based on their specific situation. Therefore, in order to discover how to fill out transfer of title in Texas and to learn more details about the required documentation, individuals are encouraged to contact the TX DMV beforehand and find out how to complete a title transfer.

Steps for Performing a Transfer of Title in Texas

A Texas car title transfer procedure consists of several simple steps that both the vehicle owners and the purchasers must complete in order to transfer the ownership rights for the vehicle in question. Motorists who have bought a vehicle need to perform the transfer of car title process by collecting the necessary documentation from the previous owner of the vehicle.

Once motorists obtain the mandatory vehicle title transfer paperwork and information from the seller, they need to submit the documents at a local TX DMV branch along with payment for the applicable fees. A Texas auto title transfer may also mandate drivers to satisfy a set of title requirements. To find out the answer to the question “How do you transfer a title on a car in Texas?” contact the TX DMV and discover more information.

Getting a New Car Title Versus Title Transfers in Texas

The process of getting a new car title in Texas is a mandatory action that residents must perform when they obtain a new motor vehicle in their possession. However, prior to applying for a new title for a car, vehicle owners need to learn the difference between getting a new car title and transferring a car title between two legal parties. Motorists need to order a new car title through the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TX DMV) after they purchase a new motor vehicle or after they move to TX from another state. New Texas residents are required to obtain a new title and complete the appropriate procedure as soon as they move to the state.

Furthermore, unlike the procedure for obtaining a DMV new title in Texas, motorists may also be able to choose to perform a title transfer procedure. A title transfer is a process of transferring the ownership rights of a motor vehicle between two legal entities. In most cases, the title transfer process must be performed when purchasing or selling an already titled motor vehicle. However, it may also be performed when getting a car as gift, inheritance or donation.

Car Title Transfer Fees in Texas

To finalize the process of auto title transfer in Texas, motorists need to provide payment for the applicable transfer fees. Motorists who are wondering how much they need to pay for a car title transfer are recommended to contact the county tax assessor-collector and learn the correct fee that must be paid along with an application for TX car title.

The standard title fee is either $28 or $33. This depends on the county where you are titling your car. New Texas residents may need to pay a $90 New Resident Tax.

In addition to the vehicle title transfer fees, motorists may be required to pay other fees for sales tax, vehicle inspection, insurance verification, etc. To discover more information about how to fill out transfer of title in Texas, contact the TX DMV and learn more details that apply to your specific situation.

Last updated on Tuesday, January 15 2019.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!