Texas Car Title Transfer
A Texas car title transfer is required in four main instances:
- If you are selling a car
- If you are buying a vehicle
- If you are inheriting a car
- If you are gifting a car
Information Related to Title Transfers
Follow these steps to successfully sell a vehicle in Texas:
- Have your car examined by a mechanic to verify its condition.
- Research online websites to list your vehicle on.
- Post photos and an accurate description of your car.
- Offer a competitive price.
- Provide a vehicle history report.
Once the sale is complete, transfer car title to the new owner and fill out a TX bill of sale as extra proof of the transaction.
New Texas drivers have three options when purchasing a vehicle:
- Purchase a used car from a private seller.
- Purchase a new vehiclefrom a dealership.
- Buy a car online.
In any case, all buyers should purchase a vehicle history report to verify the car's condition. Then they must meet the following TX DMV requirements, in this order:
- Transfer car title.
- Purchase state minimum car insurance.
- Register the vehicle.
If you are asking, "How do I transfer car title?" the answer is in the following steps. Additionally, the process for transferring car title for RVs is similar to that of passenger vehicles.
- Remove license plates to transfer them to their next car.
- Provide the following information on the back of the car title:
- Date of sale
- Sales price
- Odometer reading
- Provide buyer with the car's most recent registration receipt and instruct them to fill out Application for Texas Title (130-U) form with your name, signature, address, date and sales price.
- If applicable, put the first lien date on the Application for Texas Title, along with the lienholder's name and address.
- In terms of where to transfer car title in Texas, instruct the buyer to visit a local county tax assessor office.
Buyers need to:
- Ensure that the seller provides them with the signed and dated title document, including the sale price and odometer reading.
- Complete an Application for Texas Title (130-U) form, including the seller's personal information:
- Sale date
- Have the seller provide a car registration receipt and any other related paperwork (release of lien, power of attorney, etc.).
- Visit a local county tax office with proof of car insurance within 30 days of the sale to avoid paying fines and complete the following tasks:
- Obtain standard or personalized license plates, if seller removed them.
- Pay standard presumptive value cost (if purchase from a private seller) or the motor vehicle sales tax of 6.25 percent of the purchase price.
- Pay title transfer and car registration fees.
- Fees and acceptable payment methods vary by county. Contact your county tax assessor office for more information
To transfer title between states, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in the new state of the buyer to find out about their procedures.
DMV.com Note: If your vehicle title is lost, you must request a car title replacement before you can complete the transfer of title in Texas. This requires filling out an Application for a Certified Copy of Title (VTR-34) form and either handing it in at a regional service center office or mailing in the request.
Follow these steps for transferring car title in TX as a gift:
- Give the new owner the signed vehicle title.
- Have them complete an Application for Texas Title (130-U) form
- Check the box in section 21 that says "$10 gift tax"
- Complete and sign an Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer (14-317) form.
- Instruct new owner to visit a local county tax office and present the following when he or she goes to register the car in their name:
- Proof of car insurance
- The title application
- The affidavit
The $10 tax for gifting the vehicle only applies to those who receive from a:
- Estate of descendant.
- Nonprofit organization.
To donate a vehicle, drivers must complete the following steps:
- Find a charity that accepts auto donation.
- Not all organizations accept this form of charity
- Take off your vehicle's license plates.
- Check the box for "gift" on the Certificate of Title to transfer title.
- Provide the following information on the back of the title document:
- Date of transfer
- Your name
- Odometer reading