Finalizing the Nevada car title transfer procedure is a mandatory step after the ownership of a vehicle is passed from the original owner to a new owner. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) conducts title transfers for cars through DMV offices throughout the state.

Note that when transferring a car title in NV, vehicle owners may be required to apply for a vehicle registration at the same time, since both procedures are interconnected. Review the NV title transfer requirements and learn when to file for a vehicle title transfer by reading the following sections.

What is a car title transfer in Nevada?

Before proceeding with the transfer of car title in Nevada, motorists should learn more about the auto title transfer process and the function of their certificate of title. The goal of the NV title transfer for cars is to legally pass ownership of a motor vehicle from one legal entity to another.

For that purpose, the state DMV issues title certificates, which record the names and signatures of both the previous and the new owners.

If you fail to complete the car title transfer within a specific time period, you will be unable to register your newly purchased vehicle, and it is a violation of the state motor vehicle laws to drive a vehicle without registering it.

When is a vehicle title transfer required in Nevada?

Completing a vehicle title transfer in Nevada is a necessary step in several different situations. The most common instance when a transfer of car title is required is after buying or selling a motor vehicle.

However, in addition to transferring a vehicle title in NV after a private sale, you will also be required to pass the vehicle ownership under other unique circumstances. For instance, you will have to transfer a vehicle title even if you have received the vehicle as a gift, inheritance or donation.

Note that since the NV auto title transfer and registration procedures must be completed at the same time, vehicle owners will be required to submit their title and registration request within a certain number of days after the ownership transfer.

Information and Documents Necessary to Transfer a Title in Nevada

When completing title transfers for cars in Nevada, auto owners will have to meet several requirements, which may vary depending on the circumstances surrounding the ownership transfer.

For instance, the standard car title transfer requirements regarding the necessary documents to transfer an auto title in NV and complete the registration procedure after a private sale are listed below:

  • A signed-over title containing the seller’s legal signature
  • A filled out application
  • The DMV bill of sale, if required
  • A power of attorney, if required
  • A lien release form, if applicable
  • A vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection certificate and/or an emissions inspection report, if required

Note: Sellers will be required to apply for a replacement car title before proceeding with the car title transfer in the event of a lost or damaged title.

While the documentation title transfer requirements outlined above only pertain to the standard title transfer for vehicles in NV, additional criteria may apply under certain unique circumstances as well.

For instance, if you have to complete a transfer after receiving a vehicle as part of an inheritance, you will need the decedent’s death certificate and driving license. If you are unable to complete the transfer of vehicle title with the decedent’s title, you will be required to submit a special affidavit.

Steps for Performing a Transfer of Title in Nevada

Vehicle owners can finalize the Nebraska title transfer for cars by submitting the documents and fee payments that apply to their current situation through a DMV. The option to complete the title transfer online or by mail is unavailable since you will also be required to register your vehicle.

However, if you choose to apply for an expedited NV auto title transfer, you can do so by submitting the relevant application by mail. Then, after receiving your expedited title certificate, you can proceed to your local DMV to register your motor vehicle.

As soon as the state DMV processes your request for a title transfer for cars, it will manufacture new vehicle documents. If you apply in person, you will receive your registration documents during the same visit, while your new title will arrive by mail within a few weeks. The department sends out expedited titles within several days of receiving such requests.

Note: After transferring a car title in NV to a new owner, the vehicle seller will be required to remove the license plates and notify the state DMV of the sale.

Getting a New Car Title Versus Title Transfers in Nevada

Vehicle owners who are preparing to order a new car title in Nevada must first know the differences between applying for a new car title and transferring an existing title. The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues a new title to residents who are purchasing a new motor vehicle. Drivers will also need to apply for a new title for car when they are moving from out of state to Nevada.

Unlike the process of getting a new car title in Nevada, the title transfer procedure may differ in various aspects. Vehicle owners are required to transfer a title when they want to change the ownership of a motor vehicle between themselves and other drivers, which most often happens when buying and selling used vehicles.

Drivers may also transfer a car title after receiving a vehicle as a gift or as a donation.

Car Title Transfer Fees in Nevada

To successfully transfer a car title in Nevada, auto owners will be required to arrange payment for the standard $29.25 fee plus any additional costs. The total cost may vary depending on the applicant’s circumstances and the nature of the ownership transfer.

For instance, while the standard titling fee is set at $29.25, the total costs may also include a fee for a duplicate title paid by the seller.

If you are completing the title transfer through the DMV expedited title processing and shipping service, you will be required to pay an additional $20 fee as well. In addition to the various titling fees, motorists will also have to arrange payment for the registration costs, as both procedures are completed simultaneously in most cases.

Last updated on Tuesday, March 10 2020.