A car title is an important document that proves who owns a vehicle. Whenever a vehicle is bought or sold from an existing owner, that vehicle’s title must also be transferred to the new owner. Most states do not offer an online title transfer option. However, you can obtain online assistance to help you transfer ownership of a vehicle either as a seller or buyer. This will help you be prepared when it comes time to buy or selling a car, allowing you to have the smoothest experience possible. Our online guide will provide you with information on the forms you will need, the required fees and the specific guidelines that your state implements when transferring a vehicle title.

2. By Mail

Some states allow their residents to transfer a vehicle title by mail, but these states may have certain eligibility requirements and limitations involved with this option. If you need to have a title immediately, attempting to transfer a car title by mail may not be the best option for you. You will have to wait for the postal service to deliver your request to the DMV and then wait for the postal service to deliver your new title to you. Payment options are usually limited with mail-in transfers.

3. In Person at the DMV

The most direct way to transfer your vehicle title is in person at a DMV office. There are several states that actually require their residents to transfer their titles in person and do not offer online or mail-in options. Additionally, not all states offer title services through their DMV sites. As such, it is important for you to be prepared and know where you can transfer your vehicle titles. Our online guide offers all the information you need to transfer a vehicle to a new owner.

Motorists need to perform a car title transfer in Wisconsin when they sell or buy a motor vehicle and when they need to transfer the ownership rights between themselves and another entity. If you are wondering how to fill out transfer of title, you may be required to perform the procedure through a local DMV Customer Service Center of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT).

However, you may also need to satisfy certain title transfer requirements as part of the procedure, depending on the title transfer method you have chosen. If you are asking, “How do you transfer a title on a car in Wisconsin?”, continue reading the sections below to find assistance to complete this step.

What is a car title transfer in Wisconsin?

Prior to performing a motor vehicle title transfer in Wisconsin, car owners need to learn what is considered under the term title transfer. First of all, motorists who want to perform title transfers for cars need to know what a certificate of title is and when to use it. A vehicle title is a document issued by the WI DOT and used for the purpose of establishing the ownership over a motor vehicle.

An auto title transfer is a procedure that must be performed when the owner of a motor vehicle transmits the ownership to another legal entity. Vehicle owners need to learn how to fill out transfer of title in Wisconsin and the reasons why they need to transfer the ownership.

When is a vehicle title transfer required in Wisconsin?

A Wisconsin vehicle title transfer procedure is required when car owners want to transfer their ownership rights to new owners. The most common reason for transfer of car title is transmitting the ownership of a motor vehicle in a private sale. However, motorists may also required to perform an auto title transfer to or from a surviving spouse. Moreover, a process of title transfer for cars is needed when purchasing a motor vehicle or when receiving it as a gift from another person.

In such situations, you will be required to apply for a new certificate of title and complete a title transfer procedure. To learn more information about the instances when a car title transfer in Wisconsin is needed, you are recommended to contact the WI DOT and discover more details about the procedure.

Information and Documents Necessary to Transfer a Title in Wisconsin

When performing a process of car title transfer in Wisconsin, motorists may be required to prepare certain documentation completed with the necessary information. The documents that may be needed for a transfer of car title are the following:

  • Certificate of title
  • Statement of Transfer of Vehicles to a Surviving Spouse, Domestic Partner or Heir (form MV2300)
  • Title/License Plate Application (form MV1)
  • Odometer reading
  • Lien release, if necessary
  • Payment for the applicable fees

In addition to the certain car title transfer requirements that must be satisfied when preparing the mandatory documentation, motorists may be also required to provide the last four digits of their social security numbers (SSN), as well as their dates of birth and driver’s license information. For more information about how to fill out transfer of title in Wisconsin, you may contact the WI DOT and find out the exact requirements and documentation needed in your specific situation.

Steps for Performing a Transfer of Title in Wisconsin

When performing a Wisconsin auto title transfer procedure due to a car purchase, motorists may choose to complete the required steps online, by mail or in person at a local DMV Customer Service Center. To perform a title transfer online, motorists need to use the eMV Public page available at the WI DOT website as the fastest and most convenient method.

However, if you want to avoid performing electronic title transfers, you may complete the procedure either by mail or in person at a nearby office. If you qualify for a mail-in or online title transfer, you may need to supply the bill of sale or prepare a current vehicle title completed by the two legal entities and submit it to the DMV along with an odometer reader and a lien release, if applicable.

When transferring a car title in Wisconsin to or from a surviving spouse, you may be required to send the mandatory documentation to the WI DOT mailing address. Therefore, make sure to learn the exact title transfer requirements that apply for your specific situation by contacting the WI DOT. In addition, motorists are also encouraged to discover more information about how to complete title transfer in Wisconsin before beginning a transfer procedure.

Getting a New Car Title Versus Title Transfers in Wisconsin

A new title for car in Wisconsin may be obtained when motorists need a legal document to prove their ownership of a certain motor vehicle. Vehicle owners who are wondering when to order new car title in WI must first discover the differences between obtaining a new car title and transferring an existing title. Motorists who want to apply for a DMV new title need to perform the corresponding procedure through the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WI DOT). Owners of new motor vehicles and new WI residents may perform the title application process.

Moreover, opposite to the process of getting a new car title in Wisconsin is the title transfer procedure. Vehicle owners are required to transfer a title when they want to change the ownership of a motor vehicle between themselves and other drivers. In most cases, a title transfer is a procedure that motorists need to perform when purchasing or selling a car. Drivers may transfer their existing titles when purchasing or selling a motor vehicle, but also after receiving the vehicle as gift, inheritance or as donation.

Car Title Transfer Fees in Wisconsin

The ultimate step of the vehicle title transfer in Wisconsin is submitting payment for the applicable fees that must be paid in order to finalize the procedure. Note that when transferring a car title to a surviving spouse or domestic partner, the supplemental title fee may be waived. The basic title fees in Wisconsin are as follows:

  • Original Title or Title Transfer – $69.50
  • Title Transfer to surviving spouse or domestic partner – $62
  • Title for a low-speed vehicle – $62

To learn more information about the Wisconsin auto title transfer fees contact the WI DOT and find out the exact amount of money you need to pay.

Last updated on Monday, February 18 2019.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!