is a privately owned website. Privacy

Title Transfers or obtaining a New Certificate of Title in Kentucky

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Vehicle Registration Online Services Guide

A certificate of title issued by the state of Kentucky is a document that proves legal ownership of a vehicle. A title must be obtained when an individual purchases a new vehicle. A title transfer must also be completed when a used vehicle is sold or gifted, or when a vehicle changes hands as a result of the death of the vehicle's owner.


For new vehicles, the licensed dealer that sold the vehicle typically will accept and submit the required titling information and fees on behalf of the buyer. However, buyers wishing to handle the titling independently can do so. Those interested in applying for a new title without the dealer's assistance should refer to the Frequently Asked Questions on the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet website.


Sale/Purchase or Gift of a Used Vehicle

When you purchase a used vehicle, or obtain one as a gift, the title must be legally transferred into your name. This is done by obtaining the following documents, and submitting them along with the appropriate fees to your County Clerk's office:

  1. The current title, with the assignment completed by the seller or donor (signing the title over to you).
  2. If the title does not indicate the date of sale and selling price, a completed Bill of Sale signed by both current and new owner and notarized, is required.
  3. Photo identification.
  4. Proof of liability insurance coverage, unless the vehicle was purchased from a dealer.
  5. A completed Application for Certificate of Title.


Along with the appropriate transfer of title documents above, you will need to submit the following fees:

  1. $6 title fees.
  2. $25 speed title fees for overnight processing if necessary.
  3. Usage tax of 6% of purchase price or value.
  4. Property tax, if applicable.

The correct amount can be calculated while applying at the local County Clerk's office.

Transfer of Title Following Death of Vehicle Owner

In the event of the death of the vehicle owner, the title is often transferred to the heirs or someone else identified in the owner's will. The procedures and fees for this type of transfer are similar to those outlined above. In addition, it is important to determine how the estate of the deceased has been settled by the heir(s).
For more information on title transfers following the death of a vehicle owner, refer to the 98 RS HB 314/GA document or contact the local County Clerk's office.


Appropriate title transfer documents and fees should be submitted to the local County Clerk's office.

Additional Information

  • Contact the local County Clerk's office if you wish to add, remove or change a name on a vehicle title for reason other than those discussed above.
  • If there is an existing lien on the vehicle, there will be additional requirements for transferring the title.
  • A valid title provides proof of ownership of the vehicle. However, remember that a title transfer does not entitle the new owner(s) to legally operate the vehicle. For this, refer to the appropriate license and registration information.
Submitted by Hardhead822 on 11th Feb 2016

a woman owned this car that

a woman owned this car that had been setting for 6 years ,she said i could have it because her husband drive it and since he passed in 2013 the was tagged up until 2009 then sat we got the car running and she had already told me she lost the title ,thats fishy well now i have been contacting her on facebook and she wont talk at all to me its like thanks for getting the car gone but im not giving you the title so now im stuck with a car that is no good to me

Submitted by mwandwm73 (not verified) on 18th Oct 2011

QUESTION: I purchased an

QUESTION: I purchased an Escape from a mutual friend of a friend , He allowed me to make monthly payments. Total price for said vehicle $ 3,000.00.

After the last payment to previous owner was made I called him and his wife for the title. However both the phones were disconnected and I can not reach them to obtain the title. I have a notarized document for payment arrangements and signed receipts from owner. My question is how can I get the title and put the car into my name?