Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
If your Kentucky driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Office of Motor Vehicles.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Kentucky driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Kentucky Circuit Court Clerk's Office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring your Social Security card. You will also have to provide them with your name and date of birth.
- Bring the correct cost. Normally, there is a $12 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. If your license is due to expire within six months, the fees will be $20, the same as that for a renewal of license. Please contact your local Circuit Court Clerk's Office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
- The duplicate license will be issued on the same day.
Instructions for Kentucky residents who are temporarily out of state:
Kentucky residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person will not be able to apply for a replacement license until they are back home and can visit a Circuit Court Clerk's Office in person.
But Kentucky residents serving in the US military can apply for a duplicate license by mail. They should call the Circuit Court Clerk's office in their Kentucky County of residence for application instructions.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next six months, you are not eligible to apply for a duplicate or replacement. Instead, you will need to renew your license or identification card.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.