In order to get a replacement New York drivers license, you need to complete a number of important steps when applying. In order to simplify the process, you will need to gather the necessary documents, calculate your required fee payment before being able to obtain a replacement New York drivers license. Online assistance can help you complete all of these steps quickly and easily by providing you with all of the information you need to know about replacing your license. Start simplifying your application process today.
2. By Mail
Rather than get ahead with online assistance and services, some New York residents prefer to handle their DMV transactions via mail. Drivers can complete a few different procedures by mail, but payment methods are restricted, and the transactions have inconvenient and lengthy turnaround times for results.
3. Via a DMV Office
Certain transactions must be completed in person at a New York DMV office. However, before visiting a local branch, be sure to verify that the location offers the service you require. Not all DMV procedures can be completed at every location. Additionally, note that wait times are typically lengthy. So make sure to take advantage of online assistance to prepare for your visit.
New York Drivers License Replacement
In the event your NY driving license has been lost or stolen, you are required by the New York Department of Motor Vehicles to complete their replace license process. First of all, there is a huge risk associated with a lost drivers license in New York. If it were to fall into the wrong hands, the security of your identity could be in danger. Thus, you must act swiftly the moment the event occurs.
Information Related to License Replacement
- Reporting Theft/Loss
- Online Replacement
- Mail Replacement
- In Person Replacement
- DMV Appointments
If your NY driving license was stolen from you or you have reason to believe that it was stolen, the NY DMV recommends contacting the local authorities and reporting the crime as soon as possible. As mentioned earlier, identity theft is a serious issue, and the police will provide you with the help you need to keep any further issues at bay. Furthermore, by reporting your lost drivers license, the NY Department of Motor Vehicles will waive the replace DMV drivers license fee. You just have to:
- Fill out a Report of Lost, Stolen, or Confiscated Motor Vehicles Items.
- Photocopy the form for your records.
- Bring the form to one of the nearby New York DMV locations when you go to apply for an NY drivers license replacement.
In the state of New York, there are various ways to obtain your drivers license replacement. Keep in mind that each of these methods comes with a unique set of eligibility requirements that must be met. You must pay close attention to these stipulations if you want to be able to successfully fulfill the process and get a duplicate drivers license.Once you have completed the process, your driver's license will be sent to your address the NY DMV has on file.
In New York, you can order a driver license replacement:
- By mail.
- In person.
Before you begin the online application process to replace drivers licenses, you must make sure that you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- If you're under 25, this is your first request for a drivers license copy.
- If you're over 25, you cannot have replaced your license in the last 30 days.
- You cannot be turning 21 within 40 days of applying for a replacement.
- Your original driving license was lost, stolen, or very badly damaged
- Your mailing address has to be on DMV records
- You cannot change information on your lost drivers license, such as:
- Your license to drive cannot be:
- A duplicate that you received in the last 30 days
- "Valid without a photo"
- A non-driver ID card for those who are 62 or older and have supplemental security income
If you meet all of the above requirements, then you can visit the New York DMV transactions page and start the application to replace lost drivers license credentials. On the site, you will have to:
- Provide your name and gender.
- Type your birth date.
- Put in the last four numbers of your Social Security number.
- Type in your ZIP code.
- Provide your email address.
- Provide your credit card number for payment.
If you decide that you would rather mail the replace stolen drivers license application or lost license documents, you must take the following steps:
- Read the How to Apply for a New York Learner Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card form
- Complete an Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card.
- Gather your proof of ID and make copies of them to send in.
- Enclose a check payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles along with other documents to any local DMV office.
Applying in person to replace license credentials is another option you can employ. By doing so, you will receive a temporary drivers permit that you can use to drive legally while you wait for your New York drivers license replacement to arrive in the mail. In order to complete the application process, you must follow these steps:
- Complete an Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card
- Provide proof of ID
- Pay the associated fee with replacement license via cash, check, money order, or credit card
Going to the DMV to replace your lost or stolen drivers license is the option that involves the most preparation. Not only are you going to have to gather all of the documents necessary to replace your license online or by mail, but you are going to have to drive to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office and most likely sit in the waiting room for a couple hours before you're called. Fortunately, you can make an appointment at your local DMV in minutes by going through a quick step-by-step process online.
If you are a New York driver who needs a replacement license but cannot go to a drivers license office because you are out-of-state, then you have the option of applying by mail and having your duplicate drivers license sent to your current out-of-state address.
If you are a member of the military that is stationed abroad, you are still required to replace driving license documents when they expire. However, since you cannot go to a New York DMV office in order to complete the process, you must do so by mail. You cannot ask to have your driving license sent outside of the United States or to an APO or FPO address, but you can always call the New York Department of Motor Vehicles help desk if you have any questions: 518-473-5595.
There are various fees when it comes to replacing driving documents. However, when it comes to a driving permit or NY driving license, the fee is the same at $17.50. The Class type of the license or permit will not change the amount that you have to pay. Furthermore, if you report your stolen license to the authorities and bring the police report to your local DMV office, the fee will be waived.