If your Colorado driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) driver's license office. However, due to recent laws, under certain situations a duplicate license may not be issued.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Colorado driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Colorado DMV license office driver license office. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring identification. The state of Colorado requires that you present documents that prove your name, age, identity and legal US presence.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $7.50 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license for the first time. For subsequent replacements it is $14. Please contact your nearest you to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Colorado residents who are temporarily out of state:
Colorado residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others. Alternatively a friend or family member can take the application to the main office at 1881 Pierce Street, Lakewood.
- Download and complete the Reissue Out-of-State Extension form from the DMV website.
- Obtain a check or money order in the correct amount, made payable to: Colorado Department of Revenue. Please contact the DMV at (303) 205 5600 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with the payment to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
Denver, Colorado 80261-0016
- The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately 20 business days.
- You can renew your license or identification at any time before the expiration date. So if you are relatively close to expiry, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.