is a privately owned website. Privacy

Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated Nevada Driver's License or ID Card

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Drivers License Online Services Guide

If your Nevada driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Nevada driver's license or identification card:

  1. Locate the Nevada DMV Full Service or Express office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
  2. Bring proper identification. The state of Nevada requires that you present a proof of your identity. This can be a US birth certificate, US passport or military ID and your Social Security card, among other documents.
  3. Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $16.25 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Cash, checks and money orders for the exact amount are accepted. Credit and debit cards also accepted at DMV offices.
    Homeless persons can obtain a one-time waiver of the duplicate license fee. This needs to be applied for in person at a DMV office, accompanied by a Proof of Identity, a Driver License Application and a filled in Declaration of Homeless Status.

Instructions for Nevada residents who are temporarily out of state:

Nevada residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card through the mail. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.

  1. Download and complete the application form from the Department of Motor Vehicles website.
  2. Obtain a check or money order for the correct amount, made payable to: Department of Motor Vehicles.
  3. Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Alternate Services
    555 Wright Way
    Carson City, NV 89711    
  4. The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately 14 days. This license will not have your photograph on it, and you will need to surrender this for a photo license within 24 days of your return to Nevada.

Additional Information

  • You can renew your Nevada driver's license at any time. So you can choose to renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement, if you are relatively close to the license expiration date.
  • You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.

Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By