Texas Drivers License Replacement
Drivers whose driving license is lost, stolen or damaged badly must act swiftly to obtain a Texas drivers license replacement. Getting a TX drivers license copy will not change the date when you have to renew your drivers license.
Information Related to Replacing Driver's Licenses
Reporting Your Stolen Drivers License
Texas drivers who know or believe their lost drivers license to be stolen are required by the Department of Public Safety to file a report with local law enforcement. Bring the police report to your local driver license office when you apply to replace drivers license credentials.
Drivers can also request a new driving license number for identity security purposes.
How to Replace Your Drivers License
The Texas DPS requires all drivers to replace DMV drivers license documents in person at a local driver license office.
- Complete an Application for Renewal/Replacement/Change of a Texas Driver License or Identification Card (DL-43) form
- Give proof of identity:
- Primary documents:
- Secondary documents:
- Birth certificate (original or certified copy)
- Court order showing name and date of birth and indicating a name change or gender change from a U.S. entity (original or certified copy)
- Supporting documents:
- Social Security card
- W-2 form
- Present proof of lawful presence (non-U.S. citizens):
- Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
- Foreign passport with attached temporary I-551
- Show proof of Social Security Number (if SSN is not already part of the driving record):
- Social Security card
- Health insurance card
- Pay the $11 TX duplicate drivers license fee
- Driver license offices accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards.
Out-of-State and Military Replacement
The only Texas residents who are eligible to not go in person to replace lost drivers license credentials are those who are out of state or on active military duty.These drivers are required to follow these steps:
- Download the Out of State or Out of Country packet.
- Fill out the Out of State or Out of Country Renewal/Replacement/Change of Texas Driver License or Identification (DL/ID) Card application.
- Write your Texas address in the address field.
- Write your current out-of-state address in the mailing field.
- Mail the form, a copy of your documents that verify your SSN and the $11 Texas replace license fee (check or money order payable to Texas DPS) to:
Texas Department of Public Safety
PO Box 149008
Austin, TX 78714-9008
DMV.com Note: Drivers who have undergone a name change must also send documents verifying the change when they apply to replace stolen drivers license documents. Accepted documents include marriage certificates, divorce decrees and court orders.