Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
If your South Carolina driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated South Carolina driver's license or identification card:
If your license has been lost or stolen, you can apply for a duplicate online at the DMV website, provided you are a US citizen. If your license has been damaged, you cannot apply online for a replacement. Instead you will have to email email@example.com for instructions on obtaining a replacement.
You can also apply for a duplicate by mail or in person. To apply by mail follow the same instructions as given for out-of-state residents. To apply in person, follow the instructions below:
- Locate the South Carolina DMV office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of South Carolina requires that non-US citizens present proof of legal status while applying for a duplicate.
- Download and complete the Application for SC Credential
- Download and complete the Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Driver's License.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $10 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Credit and debit cards, checks and cash are accepted at the DMV office. Please contact your local DMV Office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for South Carolina residents who are temporarily out of state:
South Carolina residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card by mail or online at the DMV website if you are a US citizen. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the Application for SC Credential. and the [ Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Driver's License] forms the DMV website.
- Obtain a check in the correct amount. Please contact the DMV at (803) 896 5000 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
DMV Alternative Media Office P.O. Box 1498 Blythewood, SC 29016-0035
- The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately two weeks.
- If you are relatively close to the expiration date of your license or identification, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- Only one replacement license may be applied for either online or by mail during a twelve month period.
- You cannot apply for a replacement identification card online.