In order to get a replacement South Carolina drivers license, you need to complete a number of important steps when applying. In order to simplify the process, you will need to gather the necessary documents, calculate your required fee payment before being able to obtain a replacement South Carolina drivers license. Online assistance can help you complete all of these steps quickly and easily by providing you with all of the information you need to know about replacing your license. Start simplifying your application process today.
2. By Mail
Rather than get ahead with online assistance and services, some South Carolina residents prefer to handle their DMV transactions via mail. Drivers can complete a few different procedures by mail, but payment methods are restricted, and the transactions have inconvenient and lengthy turnaround times for results.
3. Via a DMV Office
Certain transactions must be completed in person at a South Carolina DMV office. However, before visiting a local branch, be sure to verify that the location offers the service you require. Not all DMV procedures can be completed at every location. Additionally, note that wait times are typically lengthy. So make sure to take advantage of online assistance to prepare for your visit.
Instructions for replacing your lost, stolen or mutilated South Carolina driver's license or identification card.
If your South Carolina driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated South Carolina driver's license or identification card:
If your license has been lost or stolen, you can apply for a duplicate at the DMV website, provided you are a US citizen. If your license has been damaged, you cannot apply online for a replacement. Instead you will have to email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on obtaining a replacement.
You can also apply for a duplicate by mail or in person
To apply by mail follow the same instructions as given for out-of-state residents. To apply in person, follow the instructions below:
- Locate the South Carolina DMV office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of South Carolina requires that non-US citizens present proof of legal status while applying for a duplicate.
- Download and complete the Application for SC Credential
- Download and complete the Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Driver's License.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $10 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Credit and debit cards, checks and cash are accepted at the DMV office. Please contact your local DMV Office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for South Carolina residents who are temporarily out of state:
South Carolina residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card by mail or online at the DMV website if you are a US citizen. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the Application for SC Credential. and the Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Driver's License forms the DMV website.
- Obtain a check in the correct amount. Please contact the DMV at (803) 896 5000 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
DMV Alternative Media Office
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0035
- The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed to you in approximately two weeks.
- If you are relatively close to the expiration date of your license or identification, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- Only one replacement license may be applied for either online or by mail during a twelve month period.
- You cannot apply for a replacement identification card online.