HOW TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A South Carolina Motorcycle License can be renewed online, by mail or in person at any DMV office in the State. The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles notifies owners of the expiration date of their motorcycle license by mail in advance.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
Your South Carolina motorcycle license will generally expire on your birthday. For those under 65 years of age the license is valid for five or ten years, and for those 65 or older, the license is valid for five years. Whether you are issued a five or ten-year license depends on the mode of renewal. It is advisable to renew your motorcycle license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your motorcycle license within nine months of expiration date.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring motorcycle license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Proof of liability insurance.
- If you are not a US citizen, you must provide proof of identity, residence and legal presence as listed in this document.
- Renewal fee payable in cash, checks, credit and debit cards.
- You will have to take a vision test or submit a certificate of test performed by a licensed vision specialist within the previous 12 months.
- If you accumulated five or more points in your license in the previous two years, you will have to take a knowledge test.
TO RENEW VIA THE INTERNET
You can renew online only if you are a US citizen, below 65 years of age and you did not renew online or by mail during the previous renewal. Other online renewal eligibility criteria include:
- Your motorcycle license has not been expired for more than nine months.
- Your vehicle insurance information is in place and up to date.
- You do not have a suspended license.
- Your driving record does not show more than five points in the previous two years.
All online license renewals are for five years only. To renew online you must:
- Visit the South Carolina DMV online services website.
- Provide your motorcycle license number, Social Security Number and date of birth.
- Have a valid Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit or debit card handy to pay the renewal fee.
TO RENEW BY U.S. MAIL
The eligibility criteria for renewal by mail are the same as that for online renewal, except that there is no age limit. All renewals done by mail are also only five-year renewals.
To renew via mail, you need to fill in an application form
, include a certificate of eye exam from a licensed specialist and a check for the renewal fee
. Mail the documents to:
South Carolina DMV
Post Office Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0055
HOW TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A South Carolina Motorcycle License can be replaced online
, by mail or in person at any DMV office
in the State.
WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
You must replace your motorcycle license if your original license has been lost, stolen or destroyed.
TO REPLACE IN PERSON
- Bring proper identification. The state of South Carolina requires that non-US citizens present proof of legal status while applying for a duplicate.
- Download and complete the Application for SC Credential.
- Download and complete the Affidavit for Lost/Surrendered Driver's License.
- Bring the correct fee. Credit and debit cards, checks and cash are accepted at the DMV office. Please contact your DMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
- If you are relatively close to the expiration date of your motorcycle license, you can renew your license instead of applying for a replacement.
TO REPLACE VIA THE INTERNET
If your motorcycle license has been lost or stolen, you can apply for a duplicate online at the DMV website
, provided you are a US citizen. If your license has been damaged, you cannot apply online for a replacement. Instead you will have to email email@example.com
for instructions on obtaining a replacement.
Only one replacement license may be applied for online during a twelve month period.
TO REPLACE BY U.S. MAIL
When you replace by mail, you should:
Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
DMV Alternative Media Office
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0035
The duplicate motorcycle license will be processed and mailed to you in approximately two weeks. Only one replacement license may be applied for by mail during a twelve month period.