How to Renew a Motorcycle License in West Virginia
It is necessary for you to complete a motorcycle license renewal in West Virginia before your driver’s license and motorcycle endorsement expire. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle or motorcycle in the state if you do not currently hold a valid and active driver’s license and endorsement. If you hold a motorcycle-only license, you are also required to ensure it remains active to legally operate your motorcycle. If you are found driving a vehicle or riding a motorcycle without a valid license, you can be charged with violations that could lead to the suspension of your license.
It is important to understand the process to renew a motorcycle license, as well as the fees you may be responsible for paying the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when renewing. In some cases, you may be required to present certain documentation before you are eligible to complete the renewal process. Reviewing the requirements for the renewal of a motorcycle-only license and a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement is an important step in efficiently completing the process. To learn ways to renew a motorcycle permit or license in the state, including eligibility requirements for the renewal process, read through the following information.
When to Renew a Motorcycle License in West Virginia
You can better understand when you should consider renewing a motorcycle license in WV by learning the DMV’s “Drive for Five” program rules. With this newly implemented program, your drivers license is valid for five years and must be renewed when your age is divisible by five. For example, you must renew your license when you turn 35, 40 and 45 years of age.
If you need to be phased into the Drive for Five program, the DMV may need to set your expiration date for three to seven years from its issue date. Therefore, it is important to keep track of your license expiration date so you can renew it before it expires. For example, if you will be 32 years of age when your license expires, the DMV may allow you to renew a motorbike license for three years, so that you will renew it when you are 35 years of age. From then on, your license will expire every five years on your birthdate.
If your new license was issued on January 1, 2001, it will expire on your birthday and not at the end of your birthday month. If your current license expires on your 18th or 21st birthday, you have a 30-day grace period to complete your renewal before your license is invalid.
You must renew a bike license when it expires or you are breaking the law by operating a motor vehicle or motorcycle on the roads. If you attempt to renew your license after it has been expired for six months or longer, you must re-apply for your driving privileges. This means you are required to present all documentation and successfully pass all exams, just as a first-time license applicant is required to do.
Eligibility for Motorcycle License Renewal in West Virginia
You must prove that you meet the West Virginia motorcycle renewal requirements before attempting to renew your license and motorcycle endorsement. To renew, you must:
- Have a current license that has not been expired for more than six months.
- Be able to physically and mentally operate a motorcycle and motor vehicle, if applicable.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a license that is not revoked or suspended.
- Be a West Virginia resident.
- Not have more than six months of child support arrears.
- Not currently have unpaid traffic tickets or DMV transactions.
- Be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident.
In some cases, you may be required to provide documentation proving your eligibility status to renew your license and endorsement.
The documents required to renew a motorcycle license are based on whether you wish to renew your license as a Real ID-compliant document or as a “Not for Federal Identification” card.
If you want your renewal license to be Real ID-compliant, you must bring the following to the DMV to renew:
- One proof of identity document
- U.S. birth certificate
- U.S. passport card or book
- Valid Department of Homeland Security (DHS) documents
- One proof of Social Security Number document
- Original Social Security card
- W-2 tax statement
- 1099 form
- Two proofs of WV residency documents
- Utility bills
- Mortgage statements
- Voter registration card
- Lease agreement
- Auto insurance card
- Bank statements
- One proof of name change, if applicable
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Court order
If you are attempting to renew your motorcycle endorsement and license but want a “Not for Federal Identification” card, you must provide:
- Your completed renewal application.
- Your current driver’s license.
- One proof of West Virginia residency (Two proof if an address change needs to made).
Instances When You Cannot Renew Your Motorcycle License in West Virginia
You will not meet the motorcycle renewal requirements in WV if your current license is revoked or suspended. If your license has been expired for six months or longer, you are required to complete the entire driver’s license application process again. This includes completing the necessary exams and paying first-time license issuance fees.
You can only renew a motorcycle permit once and the renewal process must be completed before the permit’s 90-day expiration date. If your permit expires, you may be required to re-test to receive another permit. You must convert your permit to a motorcycle endorsement or motorcycle-only license by completing an educational course or passing a skills test within this time frame. You will not be allowed to renew your motorcycle permit more than once.
How to Renew a West Virginia Motorcycle License Online
If you are wondering “Can I renew my motorcycle license online in West Virginia?” keep in mind, you must meet certain eligibility criteria to complete this process online. You can only use this renewal feature if you:
- Are 21 years of age and older.
- Do not need to make changes to your name, address or photo.
- Are not required to complete a new exam.
- Are not upgrading to a Real ID-compliant license.
- Have your current license available.
- Are a U.S. citizen.
- Do not owe transaction fees to the DMV or have unpaid traffic tickets.
If you are eligible for online motorcycle license renewal, the DMV will indicate this on the license renewal notification letter sent to your mailing address. To complete the renewal process online, you must:
- Visit the DMV online system.
- Provide your driver’s license number, last name, date of birth, the last four digits of your Social Security Number and current ZIP code to confirm eligibility.
- Create an online account using the Personal Identification Number (PIN) provided in the renewal letter from the DMV.
- Answer all questions and confirm information on the screens.
- Confirm that you also want to renew your motorcycle endorsement, if applicable.
- Provide payment for renewal fees with a major credit or debit card.
- Print confirmation and receipt.
Upon completion, you will receive your renewed license in the mail within 10 to 14 business days. In the meantime, your confirmation and receipt can be used to prove you have completed the license renewal process.
How to Renew a West Virginia Motorcycle License in Person
You must renew your motorcycle license in WV in person if you renewed online or at a self-service kiosk the last time. When you receive your renewal letter, it will include a form that you should fill out and bring with you to your local DMV office. The letter will also indicate that you must visit a DMV office to renew your motorcycle-only license or driver’s license with motorcycle endorsement and will not include a PIN number to use in the online system.
To find out where to renew motorcycle license credentials, you can visit the DMV’s website. It offers a list of locations throughout the state that can process license renewals. When you find a location that is convenient for you, review the office hours and services to confirm you can renew your license there. Most offices offer appointments and you are encouraged to set an appointment to avoid long wait times.
When visiting, you should bring your required documents. The types of documents you must bring depends on if you are applying for a Real ID compliant license or “Not for Federal Identification” card. At the DMV, you will be required to:
- Pass the vision screening.
- Complete the renewal application, if not already completed.
- Take a new license photo.
- Pay the required renewal and endorsement fees.
The acceptable payment methods may vary by office, but generally include cash, check, money order and major credit or debit card. Confirm the types of payment your local office accepts before visiting.
West Virginia Motorcycle License Renewal Costs
The West Virginia motorcycle license renewal fee you must pay depends on the type of license you want to renew and how long your license will be renewed. If you have a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement, the endorsement should expire at the same time as your driving privileges. The following fees may apply when renewing your motorcycle license:
- Class E License (Passenger Vehicles only): $5 for each year + .50 motor fee
- Class E License (Passenger Vehicles only) Expired Fee: $5
- Class F Endorsement (Motorcycle Operation): $2.50 for each year + .50 motor fee
- Class F Endorsement (Motorcycle Operation) Expired Fee: $5
- Class F License (Motorcycle Only): $2.50 + .50 motor fee
- Class F License (Motorcycle Only) Expired Fee: $5
- Motorcycle Instruction Permit 90-Day Renewal: $5
- Additional Real ID fee: $10
For example, to renew a driver’s license with motorcycle endorsement for five years, you must pay $38.50. During this transaction, if you also request to upgrade your current license to a Real ID-compliant license, you will owe $48.50.