How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in West Virginia
Vehicle registrations need to be renewed regularly. Many states require vehicle owners to renew their registrations every year, although some states offer the option to purchase registrations that last for two years or longer. Most states allow you to quickly renew your car registration online, but you should be aware of the information you will need to provide, the necessary fees and the acceptable methods of payment to ensure a smooth transaction. Our online guide can help you prepare all the required documents and fees so that you can renew your vehicle registration as smoothly and quickly as possible. In it, you will also discover all the steps needed to replace a lost registration and to update your name or address with the DMV.
2. By Mail
Some vehicle owners may prefer to renew their auto registrations through the mail. Certain states will allow their residents to apply by mail, but vehicle owners may need to meet certain eligibility requirements to submit their request. Additionally, the ways in which you may pay your renewal fee are limited to check or money order, and you may experience processing delays due to the time it takes the postal service to deliver your application. Furthermore, you may risk losing your application or registration tags in the mail, adding to the wait time.
3. Via a DMV Office
Renewing your vehicle registration in person at a DMV office is an option if you cannot or prefer not to apply by mail or online. Typically, the DMV will issue your new registration credentials after receiving payment. However, certain states may require you to wait to receive your renewed registration documents in the mail. While visiting a DMV office in person may provide you with more personalized attention, it often involves long waits. Additionally, the office hours of many DMV locations can interfere with your work schedule.
West Virginia car registration renewal reminders are sent to all applicants 30 days prior to the expiration date. After which, residents are free to renew their tags. In some cases, applicants must meet certain state requirements before a renewal can be processed. Renewal fees vary and are based on the vehicle’s weight and class.
Applicants may submit a DMV registration renewal online, by mail or in person at a local WV DMV office. In some cases, residents may apply for a renewal at a County Sheriff’s office. While vehicle inspections are mandatory in the state of West Virginia, applicants are not required to complete an inspection at the same time as a renewal. However, if your vehicle requires an inspection, it must be completed before a renewal application can be processed.
Requirements for Car Registration Renewal in West Virginia
Applications for a DMV car registration renewal can only be processed if all of the state’s requirements have been met. The follow rules apply to all drivers in West Virginia.
- Vehicles must have valid liability insurance to be operated on public roads. You must present a copy of your certificate of insurance or complete the statement of insurance found on the car registration renewal notice to qualify for a renewal.
- Vehicles must have a valid inspection sticker displayed on their windshields. Mandatory vehicle inspections are required every 12 months in West Virginia. While the inspection may not expire at the same time as your registration, a renewal cannot be processed if the vehicle does not have a valid sticker.
- Applicants must not have any outstanding tax payments. Personal property tax must be paid in full to qualify for a car registration renewal. Property tax is collected by the County Sherriff and assessed by the County Assessor.
What do you need to renew your car registration in West Virginia?
Depending on the method used to submit an auto registration renewal application, you may need to provide multiple documents. The following items are often used to process a renewal in West Virginia.
- Proof of insurance, such as a certificate of insurance or a statement of insurance.
- A car registration renewal notice form. This form may be used to renew car registration tags by mail or at a County Sheriff’s office but is not required to renew online or at a DMV office.
- Personal property tax receipt. DMV registration renewals made online may be completed using the information listed on the receipt. If you renew a car registration for two years, you must provide proof that you have paid personal property taxes for the previous two years. In some cases, an affidavit from the County Assessor may be used in lieu of a receipt.
- A copy of your current registration. This is only required if you are applying by mail and have not received a notice.
- Payment for the renewal. Acceptable forms of payment vary between methods.
West Virginia Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
A vehicle registration renewal notice is mailed to eligible applicants 30 days prior to the expiration date. Reminders are sent as a courtesy from the state. Notices are printed several months before they are mailed. Therefore, you must notify the DMV of any address changes as soon as they occur to avoid notices being sent to the wrong location.
West Virginia Car Registration Renewal Notice Lost or Not Received
A lost car registration renewal form does not require replacing. Residents are responsible for renewing their tags with or without a reminder being received.
West Virginia Car Registration Renewal Options
West Virginia applicants may apply for a vehicle registration renewal online, by mail or in person. Depending on your location, you may be permitted to renew your tags at a County Sheriff’s office. You must meet all of the above state requirements before applying.
How to Renew Car Registration Online
A DMV registration renewal online must be submitted through the state’s website. You can check your DMV registration renewal status using West Virginia’s online portal. Follow the below steps to renew your tags online.
- Select your county. Not all counties allow residents to renew online.
- Enter the vehicle’s license plate number and title number. This information can be found on your current registration card.
- Provide information regarding your insurance.
- Provide information regarding your personal property tax.
- Pay all applicable WV DMV registration renewal fees using a valid credit card.
How to Renew Car Registration Tags by Mail
Eligible applicants can renew car registration decals by mail. The state allows residents to mail in their renewal notice or send in a copy of their current registration in its place. Follow the below steps to renew by mail.
- Complete the vehicle registration renewal notice This form requires information on;
- The liability insurance for the vehicle;
- The owner’s signature; and
- The length of the renewal. Applicants may choose between one or two-year renewals.
- Include your personal property tax receipt or an affidavit from the county assessor. Multiple receipts may be required for two-year renewals.
- Include all DMV car registration renewal fees by check. Do not send cash.
- Send the above items to the address below:
PO Box 17110
Charleston, WV 25317
Where to Renew Car Registration Tags in Person
A motor vehicle registration renewal may be completed in person at a West Virginia DMV or at a County Sheriff’s office. Not all County Sherriff offices accept renewal applications. You can search your local office via the state’s DMV website. Renewal procedures for both locations differ. Follow the below steps to apply for a renewal in person.
- Provide proof of your insurance, such as a certificate of insurance or a statement of insurance.
- Provide your vehicle registration renewal notice. This is only required if you are applying at a County Sheriff’s office or if you do not have a certificate of insurance.
- Provide your personal property tax receipt or an affidavit from the County Assessor.
- Pay all applicable WV DMV registration renewal fees.
Military & Out of State Vehicle Registration Renewal in West Virginia
Residents based outside of West Virginia may renew car registration tags using the online portal or by mail. Vehicle registration renewal notices are sent to the address on file at the DMV. Therefore, it is the responsibility of any out-of-state applicant to know the expiration date of his or her tags.
West Virginia Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
WV DMV registration renewal fees are based on the length of the renewal and the type of vehicle. Renewal fees for class A vehicles are as follows.
- One-Year Standard Graphic or Scenic Plate Registration Renewal Fee: $51.50
- Two-Year Standard Graphic or Scenic Plate Registration Renewal Fee: $103
A $1 litter fee and a $.50 insurance enforcement fee have been included in the above costs. The state’s mandatory vehicle inspection cannot cost more than $12.66. This fee covers labor, taxes and the cost of the certificate.