How to Renew An Indiana Car Registration
Indiana vehicle registration renewals can be completed online, in person or by mail with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Car owners should prepare the following paperwork:
- The registration renewal notice.
- A document proving vehicle insurance (if applicable).
- A document proving completed emission tests (if applicable).
- Payment for the renewal fees.
Find out more about how to renew car registrations in IN in the sections below.
When to Renew Your Indiana Car Registration
Renewing car registrations in Indiana must be completed before the expiration date listed on your registration card and renewal notice. The IN Bureau of Motor Vehicles will send renewal notices beforehand in order to remind motorists of the approaching expiration date of their car registration. Car owners are expected to submit the necessary car registration renewal documents and fees to the IN BMV in a timely manner, as the bureau does not offer grace periods. If you drive your vehicle past the renewal expiration date, you will be subject to fines and late fees. In Indiana, DMV vehicle registration renewal periods are determined annually, based on the driver's last name.
How to Renew Your Indiana Car Registration
Vehicle owners wishing to renew car registrations in Indiana can complete the process using three easy methods: online, in person or by mail. Prior to initiating an IN car registration renewal procedure, drivers must gather the required documents and pay the appropriate fees. Different application methods may require different steps, documents and payment methods. If you would like to find out how to renew a car registration in Indiana, explore the sections below.
To complete an online car registration renewal in Indiana, car owners must prepare certain personal and vehicle information to enter in the system. Individuals and companies who decide to renew car registrations online must provide the following information:
- Their driver's license number.
- The last four digits of their Social Security Number.
- The first five digits of their ZIP code (as shown on the drivers license).
- Information on a completed emissions test (if applicable).
- Payment information (e-check, credit or debit card).
Note: Some motorists may not be eligible for online car registration renewals if their renewal notice requires additional documents to be submitted to the IN BMV in person.
DMV vehicle registration renewals in IN can also be completed in person by visiting an IN BMV office. To start a car registration renewal procedure, drivers will need to provide a set of documents required by the bureau, payment for the fees and any additional paperwork, if such is stated on the renewal notice. Typically, vehicle owners will need to submit the following:
- The renewal notice.
- A document proving valid liability insurance.
- A document proving successfully passed emissions tests (if required).
- Payment for the renewal fees.
Note: Some drivers are obliged to renew their car registration in person if their renewal notice requires special documents such as a 2290 Form, a low-digit special group authorization or a Department of Revenue Fuel Tax Permit.
Drivers who would like to renew car registration in IN by mail can do so by completing and submitting their renewal notice along with payment for the car registration renewal fees to the BMV. Supporting documentation may be required, such as proof of vehicle insurance or proof of passed safety and emission tests (if applicable). For some motorists, in-mail DMV vehicle registration renewals may be the only option if their renewal notice requires special documents to be sent to the BMV. Such documents include a fuel tax permit, a 2290 form or a low-digit special group authorization.
Liability Insurance Requirements
To renew an auto registration in Indiana, car owners must have valid liability insurance and present the appropriate proof when applying for car registration renewal. The minimum car insurance coverage as per Indiana laws is as follows:
- $25,000 for bodily injury of one individual.
- $50,000 for bodily injury of two or more individuals.
- $25,000 for property damages.
To complete an Indiana DMV vehicle registration renewal procedure, car owners must submit proof of financial responsibility such as insurance papers or an insurance card.
Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees in IN
The fees for an auto registration renewal in Indiana are calculated on the basis of your location and the type of vehicle you own. Besides the basic flat renewal fee, car owners are required to pay an excise tax fee and a surtax or wheel tax fee (in certain counties). Depending on the type of vehicle, the IN BMV renewing car registration fees are set as follows:
- Passenger motor vehicles - $21.35
- Trucks below 11,000 lbs - $30.35
- Motorcycles - $26.35
- Recreational vehicles - $29.35
- Trailers below 3,000 lbs - $16.35
- Trailers below 9,000 lbs - $25.35
Note: If you fail to renew your car registration on time, you will be charged a late fee of $15.
Renewing an Indiana Car Registration for Someone Else
Drivers who are unable to renew car registrations in Indiana online can have another individual complete the procedure for them. This type of car registration renewal can be done online and the individual will need to submit information about the vehicle and its owner such as:
- The owner's driver's license number.
- The last four digits of the owner's SSN.
- The first five digits of the owner's ZIP code as stated on the driver's license.
- Payment for the fees.
Indiana Vehicle Registration Renewal for Military Members
Military members who wish to renew vehicle registrations in Indiana can complete the procedure either online or with the IN BVM. Military members who are residents of the state, but are serving in another state can complete the regular online renewal procedure. They can also have the BMV send car registration renewal documentation to their out-of-state address. For this method, you will need to set up a mail-forwarding system in order to have the renewal materials sent to your out-of-state address. Military personnel are not charged administrative penalties or late fees if they do not complete the IN DMV vehicle registration renewal process by the expiration date.
New Indiana Resident
New state residents looking to renew car registrations in Indiana must complete this process within 60 days of establishing residency. Renewing auto registrations in IN must be done in person at any BVM branch and vehicle owners must submit the following documentation:
- A complete Request for Title - State Form 1014 (for vehicles with an out-of-state title).
- Vehicle inspection of the VIN.
- A Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or Watercraft - State Form 39530 completed by a law enforcement representative if the vehicle is not present at the BMV (or bring the vehicle to the BMV office for inspection).
- Proof of residential address.
- Proof of your Social Security Number.
- Payment for the applicable fees.