How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in California
The California Department of Motor Vehicles notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by through the mail, using the DMV's online service, or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment to:
California Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
HASSLE FREE REGISTRATION RENEWAL ONLINE
You can save the time and effort dealing with the government's DMV system or having to go to the DMV in person by completing your registration renewal online through Cartagz. Cartagz will process your renewal online with the benefit of helpful customer service should there be a problem. Cartagz can often help drivers with complex renewal issues caused have tickets or suspensions.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE DMV WEBSITE
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express), or a debit card (MasterCard or VISA) handy to pay for the renewal. You can also request an electronic withdrawal from your checking account via e-check.
- Make sure you have the renewal notice with the Renewal Identification Number and the Smog certification as filed with the DMV
- Go to the California Department of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the DMV office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form, mileage certification and smog certification, along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in California will have different fees that range from $32 to $2,064 and your vehicle's estimate can be calculated with DMV.com's Vehicle Registration Calculator.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can send it to:
DMV Change of Address
P.O. Box 942859
Sacramento, CA 94259-0001
Or use the DMV's online services to correct your address before renewing. You can also complete the entire process via Cartagz.
For any other error, dial the toll-free number (800) 777-0133 and explain the error to the DMV customer service agent.
- It may take up to 15 days for your new registration card and decals to arrive by mail.
- See California License Plates - Registration Plates for additional details on registering and plating your vehicle.