How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in Louisiana
If you are a vehicle owner in the State of Louisiana, you are responsible for completing a car registration renewal every two years to keep your license plates and registration documents from expiring. A few weeks before your registration expires, you will receive a renewal notice from the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) that includes important information necessary for completing your renewal.
Requirements for Car Registration Renewal in Louisiana
To start a motor vehicle registration renewal request, you must be a resident of Louisiana, and the vehicle must be registered under your name. You must also be prepared to provide specific documentation and pay all applicable DMV registration renewal fees.
Your registration expires every two years. To determine your exact OMV registration renewal status so that you are aware of your expiration date, check your renewal notice, current registration documentation, or contact your local Louisiana OMV office. It is critical that you know when your registration expires so that you can complete the renewal beforehand to avoid any consequences of driving with expired plates.
What do you need to renew your car registration in Louisiana?
To complete an auto registration renewal In Louisiana, you must complete emissions and safety testing every few years and provide proof that your current sticker is up to date. Although the document requirements in Louisiana may vary slightly depending on the renewal method you choose, you must typically provide:
- A photo ID or drivers license.
- A renewal notice or current registration document.
- Proof of emissions testing, if applicable.
- Proof of auto insurance, if applicable.
- Payment for fees and taxes.
Louisiana Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
You will receive a Louisiana vehicle registration renewal notice prior to the expiration date of your registration and license plates. This notice serves as a courtesy reminder and provides you with information about your registration expiration date, the renewal fees you must pay and whether or not you are eligible for an online vehicle registration renewal.
Louisiana Car Registration Renewal Notice Lost or Not Received
If you did not receive a notice or you have lost a car registration renewal form, you can use your current registration document when you renew. Although the notice is beneficial when renewing your license plates, it is not a necessity and the renewal can be completed without it.
Note: You must renew your registration on time regardless of whether you received a notice in the mail or not.
Louisiana Car Registration Renewal Options
You can process a Louisiana OMV vehicle registration renewal online, by mail or in person. To learn more about each of these options, read the sections below.
How to Renew Your Car Registration Online
Before renewing your car registration online, you must determine if you are eligible for an online renewal. You may renew online only if all of the following are true:
- You received a computer generated renewal notice in the mail.
- You have a valid VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit or debit card.
- You do not have an expired vehicle registration.
- Your renewal notice does not state that you must provide additional documentation to renew.
After you determine that you are eligible to renew online, you can do so by following these steps:
- Provide your renewal information and confirm the record.
- Verify your current address.
- Authorize payment of the renewal fee.
How to Renew Your Car Registration by Mail
You may have the option to renew your Louisiana vehicle registration by mail. Your renewal notice will include instructions for submitting your application through the U.S. postal service, including:
- Documents you need to include with your application.
- The address you are supposed to mail your application to.
How to Renew Your Car Registration in Person
If you are curious about where to renew a vehicle registration, you should note that you can visit your local Louisiana OMV office and provide the following:
- Driver’s license or ID
- Renewal notice or certificate of registration
- Proof of emissions testing, if applicable.
- Proof of insurance, if applicable.
- Payment for the license plates renewal fees.
Military & Out of State Vehicle Registration Renewal in Louisiana
Out-of-state Louisiana residents and members of the U.S. military must complete a vehicle registration renewal online or by mail if their license plates are about to expire. Currently, there are not any special grace periods or exceptions for Louisiana residents who are currently living outside the state.
Louisiana Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
The LA vehicle registration renewal costs that you are responsible for vary depending on the vehicle. Also, you are subject to additional fees when you process a renewal online or when you renew your registration after your registration has expired.
- Louisiana Vehicle Registration Renewal from ExpressLane.DPS.Louisiana.gov
- Louisiana Vehicle Registration Renewal from DPS.Expresslane.org