How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in Maryland
You must complete a Maryland car registration renewal every two years with the Motor Vehicle Association (MVA) if you are a Maryland resident. The MVA registration renewal fees that you must pay vary, so it is important to check your renewal notice form to determine what you owe.
Requirements for Car Registration Renewal in Maryland
You may start a motor vehicle registration renewal up to two months before your registration expiration date. You can also complete a renewal after your registration has expired. Your registration expires every year, and it is very important to remember your expiration date so that you can complete your renewal before your plates expire.
A few other requirements for renewing include that you must be a resident of Maryland and the car you are registering must be listed under your name. You must also be prepared to provide necessary documentation and pay the applicable MVA registration renewal fees.
What do you need to renew your car registration in Maryland?
The document requirements to renew an auto registration in Maryland vary slightly depending on the renewal method you choose. However, you typically must provide:
- Your vehicle registration renewal notice or your vehicle’s title and license plate numbers.
- Proper form of identification for in person renewals without a notice.
- Proof of auto insurance.
- Payment for the applicable fees and taxes.
Maryland Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
Approximately 60 days before your Maryland registration is set to expire, you will receive a vehicle registration renewal notice in the mail as long as the MVA has your current address on file. This courtesy reminder provides you with your DMV registration renewal status and helps you remember to renew your registration by the deadline. Although the notice is necessary for certain renewal methods, you can still renew your registration even if you do not have it.
Maryland Car Registration Renewal Notice Lost or Not Received
If you have a lost registration renewal notice or you do not receive a notice in the mail, you can contact the MVA office at (410) 768-7000 to inquire about receiving another. However, keep in mind that you are still responsible for completing your renewal regardless of whether you received a reminder notice in the mail or not.
Maryland Car Registration Renewal Options
You can complete a Maryland MVA registration renewal online, by mail, in person or by phone. However, before you begin, check your renewal notice to make sure that all of the information included is correct.
How to Renew Your Car Registration Online
If you are interested in renewing your car registration online, you must first determine if you are eligible for an online renewal. You may only renew online if:
- Your registration is set to expire within the next two months or has already expired.
- The MVA has your most current address on file.
- You do not have any outstanding parking tickets, insurance violations or other problems that have not been addressed.
- You have an appropriate form of payment for the applicable fees.
If you meet the requirements to complete a vehicle registration renewal online, you must provide the following steps in order to process your renewal:
- Provide your vehicle’s title number.
- Provide your vehicle’s license plate number.
- Authorize payment for the renewal fee.
- Print your receipt.
Note: You can also complete a renewal through an MVA kiosk. The steps are very similar to the steps required for an online renewal, except that it takes place on a computer screen at a qualifying kiosk location.
How to Renew Your Car Registration by Mail
Instructions for how to renew a car registration by mail on your renewal notice. Be sure to fill out any corrections or changes in the gray area and then sign the notice before returning it to the MVA.
You must provide any required documents listed on the notice, if applicable. Finally, enclose your check or money order payable to the MVA in the pre-addressed envelope provided. You can expect to receive your new registration card and sticker within two weeks.
How to Renew Your Car Registration in Person
To complete an MD car registration renewal in person, you can visit:
- Any MVA office.
- A tag and title service.
- The MVA’s mobile office.
- Certain county treasurer’s offices.
Make sure that you bring your renewal notice with you. If you do not have your notice, bring a form of identification so that a new application can be printed for you. You may also have the option to submit an Application for New Plates/Stickers & Transfer Plates or Non Title Trailers as your renewal application.
To renew your vehicle registration in person, you must follow these steps:
- Provide your vehicle registration renewal notice or proper form of identification.
- Submit proof of auto insurance, if applicable.
- Pay the appropriate MVA license plates renewal fees.
- Receive your new registration card and sticker.
How to Renew Your Car Registration by Phone
You can check your MVA registration renewal status and complete a renewal over the phone as long as:
- You of the information included on your renewal notice is correct.
- You do not have any outstanding traffic tickets or insurance issues on your record.
To complete a phone renewal, call (410) 768-7000. Ensure that you have a valid credit card (MasterCard, American Express or VISA) and follow the instructions provided.
You can expect to receive your registration card and sticker within approximately 10 days after the date of the transaction.
Military & Out of State Vehicle Registration Renewal in Maryland
If you are temporarily residing outside of Maryland because you are a member of the U.S. military or because of other reasons, you can complete the renewal online, by mail or by phone. Regardless of where you are located, you must ensure that your registration is updated on time.
Maryland Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
There is a Maryland vehicle registration renewal cost that you are responsible for paying before your renewal can be fully processed. These registration fees vary depending on the type and weight of your vehicle and they last for a period of two years.
The fees are as follows:
- Passenger cars (shipping weight up to 3,700 lbs.) – $135.00
- Passenger cars (shipping weight over 3,700 lbs.) – $187.00
- Multi-purpose vehicle (shipping weight up to 3,700 lbs.) – $135.00
- Multi-purpose vehicle (shipping weight over 3,700 lbs.) – $187.00
- Motorcycles/low speed: $104.00
- Trucks (7,000 lbs. or less) – $161.50
- Trucks (10,000 lbs. GVW) – $214.00
Note: DMV forms change regularly. The forms provided above are current based on the date of writing.
- Renewing Your Vehicle Registration from MVA.Maryland.gov
- Registration - Renewal of Registration from MVA.Maryland.gov
- Fees for Registration Plates from MVA.Maryland.gov