How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in South Dakota
Vehicle registrations need to be renewed regularly. Many states require vehicle owners to renew their registrations every year, although some states offer the option to purchase registrations that last for two years or longer. Most states allow you to quickly renew your car registration online, but you should be aware of the information you will need to provide, the necessary fees and the acceptable methods of payment to ensure a smooth transaction. Our online guide can help you prepare all the required documents and fees so that you can renew your vehicle registration as smoothly and quickly as possible. In it, you will also discover all the steps needed to replace a lost registration and to update your name or address with the DMV.
2. By Mail
Some vehicle owners may prefer to renew their auto registrations through the mail. Certain states will allow their residents to apply by mail, but vehicle owners may need to meet certain eligibility requirements to submit their request. Additionally, the ways in which you may pay your renewal fee are limited to check or money order, and you may experience processing delays due to the time it takes the postal service to deliver your application. Furthermore, you may risk losing your application or registration tags in the mail, adding to the wait time.
3. Via a DMV Office
Renewing your vehicle registration in person at a DMV office is an option if you cannot or prefer not to apply by mail or online. Typically, the DMV will issue your new registration credentials after receiving payment. However, certain states may require you to wait to receive your renewed registration documents in the mail. While visiting a DMV office in person may provide you with more personalized attention, it often involves long waits. Additionally, the office hours of many DMV locations can interfere with your work schedule.
A car registration renewal in South Dakota must be submitted annually. Renewal schedules are based on the last name of the applicant. For example, if your last name begins with the letter A, your renewal month will be January. Renewal fees are based on the vehicle’s age and weight. Therefore, your annual fee may change as your vehicle ages.
South Dakota offers its residents four ways to renew their vehicle registrations. Depending on your eligibility, you may submit a DMV registration renewal online, in person, by mail or at one of the state’s self-service kiosks. Out-of-state applicants are permitted to renew their registrations online or by mail, although restrictions may apply. Learn more about SD vehicle registration renewals in the sections below.
Requirements for Car Registration Renewal in South Dakota
A DMV car registration renewal application may be processed 90 days before the registration expiration date. In addition, an expired vehicle registration may be renewed up to 12 months after the expiration date, but vehicle owners will need to pay late fees.
Operating a vehicle without a current registration may result in a class two misdemeanor. Registration expirations are based on the last name of the applicant and expire on the last day of the assigned month. See below for a breakdown of the state’s car registration renewal schedule.
- January – Last names beginning with A or B.
- February – Last names beginning with C, D or E.
- March – Last names beginning with F, G or J.
- May – Last names beginning with H, I or O.
- June – Last names beginning with K or L.
- July – Last names beginning with M or N.
- August – Last names beginning with P, Q or R.
- September – Last names beginning with S.
- November – Last names beginning with T, U, V, W, X, Y or Z.
What do you need to renew your car registration in South Dakota
Depending on the method used to complete a vehicle registration renewal, additional documentation may be required by the SD DMV. One or all of the following items may be necessary for your application:
- South Dakota Drivers License – Whether you enter the number online or present your license in person, you must submit your SD license number when renewing your registration.
- Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice – If you have been sent a renewal notice, you may be required to present it. However, if you do not receive a notice, you are still able to renew your registration.
- Proof of Ownership – Applicants may need to submit the vehicle title or current registration to the DMV. In most cases, this is only required if a renewal notice has not been provided.
- SD DMV Registration Renewal Fees – Depending on how you renew your registration, you may be restricted to using certain payment methods.
- Online payments can be made using debit cards, credit cards or eChecks. Restrictions may apply.
- Mailed-in payments must be made using a personal check, cashier’s check or money order.
- In-person payments can be made using cash, checks, cashier’s checks or money orders.
- Self-service kiosks accept eChecks, debit cards and credit cards. Restrictions may apply.
South Dakota Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
In most cases, a DMV registration renewal status postcard will be mailed to vehicle owners, alerting them of an upcoming expiration date. However, renewal notices are not mandatory and only issued as a courtesy from the state.
You must renew your registration within the appropriate window of time regardless of whether you have received a notice in the mail.
South Dakota Car Registration Renewal Notice Lost or Not Received
If you do not receive a vehicle registration renewal notice, you must still submit an application before the expiration date. You do not need to alert the DMV of a lost registration renewal notice or apply for a replacement. However, you may be required to submit additional paperwork to the DMV to renew your registration if you do not have the notice.
South Dakota Car Registration Renewal Options
South Dakota offers residents four options on where to renew car registration documents in the state. Depending on the situation, you may be eligible to renew your registration online, by mail, in person or at a self-service kiosk. Each method requires slightly different procedures and may incur seperate fees.
How to Renew Your Car Registration Online
In order to renew car registrations online, applicants must hold a valid South Dakota drivers license or ID card and provide their date of birth. Furthermore, registrants must create an online account prior to submitting a renewal. Complete the following steps to renew online:
- Create an account through the state’s online portal. You will need to enter a current email address, password, your full name, your Social Security number and your SD ID card number.
- Follow the online prompts to renew any of your vehicles on file at the DMV. If you are renewing a vehicle that is not listed on the online system, contact the SD DMV.
- Pay the vehicle registration renewal online Transaction and mailing fees may be applied.
How to Renew Car Registration Documents by Mail
A TX motor vehicle registration renewal application may also be submitted by mail to a local treasurer’s office. Complete the following steps to submit an application by mail.
- Complete the vehicle registration renewal notice You must draw a line through any vehicles that you are not renewing or do not own.
- Include your South Dakota drivers license or ID card
- Include proof of ownership if the vehicle is not listed on the renewal notice.
- Include the car registration renewal payment in the form of a check, money order or cashier’s check. Do not send cash in the mail.
- Send the above items to your local treasurer’s office.
Allow two weeks for mailed-in applications to be processed. Additional postage fees may apply.
How to Renew Car Registration Documents in Person
Vehicle registration renewals may be submitted in person at your local treasurer’s office. Applicants must bring their driver’s license or ID card, as well as the renewal notice, if applicable. Payment must be made in full at the time of applying. An SD renewal notice is not required. However, if you are renewing a vehicle that is not listed on the notice, you must provide proof of ownership.
In addition, an SD DMV car registration renewal may be completed at one of the state’s self-service kiosks. Kiosks are only available in the following counties:
- Sioux Falls
- Rapid City
Auto registration renewals completed at a self-service kiosk must be initiated by scanning a South Dakota driver’s license or ID card. Follow the on-screen prompts and pay all applicable fees. Once completed, your new tags and registration documents will be printed immediately from the machine.
Military & Out of State Vehicle Registration Renewal in South Dakota
If you need to renew car registration tags and you are out of the state, you may do so online or by mail. However, online renewals must be made using a SD driver’s license or ID number. Therefore, out-of-state residents must submit a car registration renewal by mail or in person. Military members stationed outside of South Dakota may renew their registrations online or by mail.
South Dakota Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
Car registration renewal costs are based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Depending on the type of car, fees may range from $2.10 per month to $12 per month. In addition to the registration fee, applications may be subject to excise tax, mailing costs and transactions fees.
See below for additional registration costs.
- DMV Registration Renewal Online eCheck Fee: $1.50
- DMV Registration Renewal Online Transaction Charge: 2.25% of all credit or debit card payments
- Decal Mailing Fee: $1 per renewal
- Plate Mailing Fee: $5 per renewal