The Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail with a reminder notice which should have the RIN necessary for online renewal. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by mail, in person, or using the DDS's online service for some counties.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment to:
Georgia Motor Vehicle Division Attn: Renewal Center P.O. Box 740381 Atlanta, GA 30374-0381
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- You should have the "pre-bill" sent to your correct address to be able to renew online.
- Go to the Georgia Department of Driver Services Online Services website. Some counties require electronic proof of insurance. A vehicle inspection certificate is required for the Metro County.
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or debit card (MasterCard or VISA) handy to pay for the renewal. You can also request an electronic withdrawal from your checking account.
- A card transaction fee of 2.35% or $1 minimum applies. Certain counties charge a service fee of $1.95.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the DDS office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form, proof that you have passed a recent emission inspection, along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal fees and ad valorem taxes to the local Tax Commissioner's office.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Georgia will have different fees ranging from $12 to over $200 as seen here.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the renewal reminder notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can call (404) 968-3600. You can not renew online if you need to change address in the registration form.
- For any other error, dial (404) 968-3600 and explain the error to the DDS customer service agent.