What to Do If You Have Not Received Your Registration Sticker in Georgia
A Georgia registration sticker not received within the standard mailing time may need replacing. New stickers will not arrive in the mail without a renewal being processed by the legal owner or driver of the vehicle. Registration renewals can be requested online, at self-service kiosks or in person at a local county registration office. However, if your stickers fail to arrive in the mail after you have submitted a renewal, your vehicle may be subject to fines if proof of the renewal cannot be shown to law enforcement officials.
It is important to follow up with all renewals to make sure they are received and displayed on your vehicle for law enforcement to see. A GA DMV sticker not received in the mail does not automatically make you exempt from fines. Fines can vary depending on the circumstances, typically costing a percentage of the license plate fees and of the value of tax owed on the vehicle. Read on to learn more about a car sticker not received and what you can do to rectify this issue.
Common Reasons for a Registration Sticker Not Being Received in Georgia
There are a few reasons why a license plate sticker not being received in the mail. Understanding these causes will help you clarify why your current stickers have not arrived and to avoid future renewals from being lost. In your sticker has not arrived, make sure to do the following:
- Verify your information – When renewing your registration sticker online, there is a final verification step in the application process before you click complete. The system will give you time to review this information before submitting it. If the information is entered incorrectly, you can go back and correct the errors before finishing the application. However, if this information is incorrect and you submit your application, the errors may cause the stickers to be sent to the wrong address. Similarly, if you are completing a registration renewal in person, make sure you verify that all information on the form is written out clearly. Any errors may result in the application being rejected or lost.
- Keep your records up-to-date – It is important to keep all of your address and contact information current with the Georgia department of revenue to ensure all documentation is received. If you have recently moved, make sure you change your address before you submit a renewal for your DMV registration sticker. This will help prevent stickers being sent to a previous address.
Can I legally drive if my Georgia registration sticker was not received?
The state of Georgia allows drivers to operate their vehicles if they are in possession of their renewal receipt. If renewed online, the final step will show you all the details of your payment and registration. You must print this page and place it in your vehicle at all times. Similarly, all receipts issued after renewing your registration at a DMV office must be kept in the vehicle to be used as proof of your current registration.
If you are stopped by law enforcement officials, your car must display your GA car tag sticker renewal receipt. If you do not have proof that you have renewed your vehicle registration, penalties and fines may be applied.
Additional Consequences of a Car Sticker Not Received in Georgia
If you do not apply for a replacement sticker and operate your vehicle without receipt or proof of registration, your vehicle may be impounded. If your application was sent in but your DMV registration sticker was not received, you can request a replacement at no extra cost. However, this fee is not always waived, and fines may differ depending on the circumstances and county you reside in. Therefore, make sure you act quickly if your stickers have not arrived. If you wait too long, you may have to pay for duplicates or run the risk of being stopped and ticketed.
Steps to Take If Your Georgia DMV Sticker Was Not Received
A Georgia license sticker not received in the mail needs to be replaced with a duplicate version to avoid any penalties associated with unregistered vehicles. Below are the steps you should take if your sticker has not yet arrived in the mail.
- Check the status of your registration – Look up the status of your application online. This will give you a clearer idea as to the location of your stickers and if they have been lost in transit. Additionally, you can inquire about the application status in person or over the phone.
- Order a DMV sticker replacement – Duplicate stickers can be ordered from a DDS office. In order to do this, you need to complete specific replacement forms and bring all required documents to your local DMV office for processing.
- Surrender any original stickers – If your original stickers arrive in the mail, you must surrender them to your local DMV office.
Where to Get Georgia Registration Sticker Replacements
Replacement registration stickers must be obtained from the GA DMV office that issued the original registration stickers. You cannot replace a sticker online or by mail.
The fee that is typically applied to replacement stickers may be waived if a duplicate is applied for within a certain number of days of the original car plate sticker renewal. Below are the items you will need in order to replace your lost stickers:
- A completed registration replacement form. This form must be notarized before submitting it to the Georgia department of revenue.
- A completed replacement decal affidavit form
- A $1 registration replacement fee, if applicable
- Your ID, such as a driver license.