What to Do If You Have Not Received Your Registration Sticker in Delaware
If your registration application was processed but a new Delaware registration sticker was not received, it is your responsibility to rectify the situation as soon as possible. The state of Delaware offers phone and email reminders for drivers who have upcoming registration renewals, as well as drive-through options in certain areas. However, a DMV sticker not received in the mail or a missing renewal reminder does not make you exempt from certain fines or penalties.
Drivers can renew a registration sticker online or in person at a local DE DMV office. Applicants who complete a registration renewal online will be issued a receipt. They can also print registration cards online to use as proof of registration while the new stickers are being sent. Registrations can be renewed a certain number of days before an expiration, but there is little to no grace period after a registration expires. Late fees and penalties may be charged if you are found driving an unregistered vehicle in Delaware.
Common Reasons for a Registration Sticker Not Being Received in Delaware
A processed license plate sticker not received in the mail may have been caused by a variety of factors. Below are a few of the reasons why your stickers may not have arrived:
- Incorrect address – If you have recently moved and have not updated your details with the DE DMV, your stickers may have been sent to the wrong address. The DE DMV asks that all new addresses are filed as soon as a change occurs. This ensures that future renewal notices and stickers are sent to the right location. The DE DMV allows addresses to be updated online even for vehicles with expired registrations.
- Errors in the application – Make sure you have entered all of the information on your application correctly, whether online or on handwritten forms. An incorrect address or typo may cause your application to be rejected or your DMV registration sticker to be sent elsewhere. When renewing your registration online, you will be given a chance to review your address before submitting your application.
Can I legally drive if my Delaware registration sticker was not received?
It is illegal to drive a vehicle that is not registered and not exempt from registration in the state of Delaware. However, you may be exempt from certain fines and penalties if you show evidence of your registration renewal. If a renewal application was processed but a DMV registration sticker not received, you can show your receipt to law enforcement officers as proof. You must print your registration card using the online system and keep all receipts and documents in your vehicle at all times.
The state of Delaware allows drivers a certain amount of time to provide proof of registration before a conviction is made. Make sure you contact the DMV immediately if you do not receive your stickers within the standard mailing time, as you may need to apply for a duplicate.
Additional Consequences of a Car Sticker Not Received in Delaware
If your license plate or DE car tag sticker has not arrived, it may be possible that it was stolen. If you have reason to believe these items were stolen, you must report it to the police immediately. New plates and stickers will need to be ordered from your local DMV office. Due to the fact that someone else may be using the stolen plates and stickers, new numbers will be issued. The DE DMV will send you a temporary tag while your new plates are being processed. The fees for replacement stickers and plates vary and additional documentation may be required.
Steps to Take If Your Delaware DMV Sticker Was Not Received
The state of Delaware requires all drivers who have not yet received their stickers to contact the DMV immediately and verify their applications. Below are the steps to take if you have submitted a car plate sticker renewal but have not received the new registration in the mail.
- Check the status of your application – Call your local Delaware DMV office to check the status of your stickers and for any further information on how to proceed.
- Apply for a duplicate sticker – A license sticker not received in the mail must be replaced by a duplicate as soon as possible. The DE DMV allows you to order duplicates for the following items:
- License plates with stickers
- License plates without stickers
- Validation sticker
- Dealer license plate
- Registration card
- Same license plate
- Environmental/Animal welfare license plate
- Confirm contact details – Make sure you take this time to reconfirm your address so that any DMV sticker replacements or future renewals are not lost in the mail.
Where to Get Registration Sticker Replacements in Delaware
Drivers cannot replace stickers online in Delaware and instead must visit a local DMV office to apply for duplicates. An applicant must provide proof of insurance for the vehicle, as well as the plate numbers.
A duplicate fee of $5 will be charged for replacement stickers. and a new sticker will be issued. Stickers that are lost in the mail do not automatically make applicants exempt from replacement fees. You can search for your local DE DMV office online and call ahead to make sure you have the correct documents to process a replacement.
- Duplicate Registration Cards from dmv.de.gov
- Motor Vehicle Fees from dmv.de.gov