Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
A Georgia Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any Driver's License Customer Service Center in the State, by mail, over telephone or over the Internet. Georgia law requires DDS to administer a vision test to drivers over age 64 who must visit a Customer Service Center to undertake the test, and therefore cannot renew their driver's license by mail, phone or over the Internet.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Sixty days prior to your license expiration date, which is typically your birthday, Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) will send you a renewal application. You will receive the renewal application if DDS has your digital signature, photograph and fingerprint on file. In addition, your driving record must be clear of any suspensions, cancellations or revocations.
- The renewal application will be mailed to your current address on file with DDS. You should notify DDS of any address changes.
- You must visit the DDS Customer Service Center if you wish to make changes to your name or address or other information. However, qualified licenses are eligible for a one-time free address change during the renewal cycle.
- Georgia driver's licenses are generally renewed for 5 or 8 years.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- A 5-year license renewal fee is $20 and a 8-year license renewal is $32. The acceptable form of payment is by cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover). The entire process takes place in five minutes, after which the renewed license will arrive by mail within four weeks.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
When you renew by mail, you should prepare and/or complete:
- The renewal application form
- Credit card information for renewal fee of $20 for five-year renewal and $32 for 8-year renewal. There is no service fee to renew the license by mail.
- Mail all the documents to:
Department of Driver Services Post Office Box 80447 Conyers, GA 30013
The renewed driver's license will arrive by mail within four weeks.
TO RENEW ONLINE
- You cannot renew online on or after the expiration date.
- You will need the Resident Identification Number (RIN) located on the renewal notice.
- You can renew online by following these simple steps.
- Credit card information for renewal fee of $25 for five-year renewal and $35 for 10-year renewal.