Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Illinois driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year of your license depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed:
Driver's Age at License Issue or Last RenewalValidity of License
Under 21license expires three months after 21st birthday
21-80license valid for 4 years 81-86license valid for 2 years 87 and olderlicense valid for 1 year
- You will get a renewal notice 60 to 90 days prior to expiration date from the Secretary of State's office.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the expiration date. You can renew your license any time in the six months leading up to its expiration if your license is valid for a year, or anytime in the one year before your four-year or two-year license expires.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license or Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available
- If your name or address has changed, documentation of the name or address change is required.
- The renewal fee ($30 for ages 21-68 years), payable by cash or check (credit cards not accepted). Fees will vary if you are below 21 or over 68 years old as given here.
You need to have your vision tested and your picture taken before renewal. Your renewal letter will inform you if other tests are required.
You will receive your new license on the same day.
SAFE DRIVER PROGRAM
TO RENEW ONLINE
- The renewal authorization number which is printed on your renewal notice.
- Your credit card to pay the renewal fee. (Visa, MasterCard, American Express Card, Discover card) You can also pay by electronic check. If you choose to pay by card, you will be charged $1.75 as processing charges.
You have to print out the page confirming that the transaction has been accepted.
The renewal sticker will arrive after 10 business days.
If you are a Safe Driver, you need to visit a Driver Service Facility only once every eight years to renew your license.
TO RENEW BY TELEPHONE
To renew by phone, call (866) 545-9607 on a touchtone telephone. This facility is available throughout the day everyday. Payment can be made using credit card (Visa, Discover, MasterCard or American Express).
An additional fee of $1.75 apart from the renewal fee will be charged.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
You can renew by mail, if eligible, by following the instructions in the renewal notice.
Mail the document to:
Secretary of State Attn: Safe Driver Renewal, Central Services Section 2701 S. Dirksen Parkway Springfield, IL 62723