How to Order Illinois Vehicle History Reports
VIN history reports in Illinois are essential for drivers buying or selling cars. By submitting the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), a history document can be generated for the requestor. The data disclosed is helpful for potential buyers to find reliable cars. Additionally, sellers can make their vehicles more attractive to purchasers by providing detailed car histories. On a VIN lookup report, safety details, previous repairs, theft information and more is listed.
To obtain vehicle history reports, Illinois drivers can either submit an online or by-mail request for information. The online method for VIN number lookup is instantaneous. Thus, it is often considered the most convenient method. Discover more information about these methods and the importance of vehicle history reports in the next sections.
Checking VIN Numbers Online in Illinois
VIN reports in IL can be easily accessed by consumers by using trusted, online resources. By utilizing this method, Illinois residents can avoid long wait times and other stress-inducing issues. After basic information is submitted through the online form, results are provided instantly. A VIN code lookup and a valid email address are the only details needed to begin this process. For many consumers, online vehicle history reports are the most accessible, and are easily obtained.
A comprehensive report is sent to the requestor after valid personal and vehicle information is entered. A thorough background analysis of a used car is found on one simple document. In Illinois, the mail-in alternative is more time-consuming and results are not received right away.
How to Perform a VIN Number Check by Mail in Illinois
Illinois drivers can also lookup VIN report information by mail. This document should be sent to the Secretary of State office. The name of the resident, mailing address, driver license number and phone number must be provided. For businesses, the company name should be submitted.
Mail-in VIN number checks also require the requestor to enter detailed vehicle information. This includes for following vehicle information:
- The year
- The make
- The model
- The car title number
- The license plate details
Additionally, a reason for the request, fee payment and signature are necessary in order to process the form. Payments can only be made by check, money order or credit card. Cash cannot be sent to the IL Secretary of State by mail.
When the request for a vehicle record is processed, the necessary information is mailed to the resident or business. Requestors can expect to experience an indefinite waiting period for the document. The online method for obtaining a history report is more beneficial for receiving the data without any wait time.
What info is in an Illinois VIN history report?
A VIN number report is useful for drivers, because it provides a comprehensive history of a vehicle. The reports cover a variety of mechanical issues, general data and important events that have occurred during a car’s history. The information provided includes:
- Theft status of a vehicle. Buyers may be less inclined to purchase a car that has formerly been stolen or involved in crimes.
- Previous vehicle owners. The seller can be verified as the actual car owner by comparing this information on the vehicle history report.
- Defects or recalls of a vehicle. When looking up VIN number, history reports reveal if a car company has ordered a recall. Potential buyers can ensure that proper maintenance has been performed.
- Vehicle accident history. Major and minor damages that resulted from an accident are important components for understanding the mechanical reliability of a car. Additionally, any flood damage will be disclosed. The accident reports provided can give a clear picture of the event to consumers.
- Vehicle odometer readings. Understanding car mileage helps drivers ascertain the potential dependability of a vehicle. Buyers can avoid being tricked by sellers who illegally reverse the odometer to display a lower mile reading.
- Previous sale prices. IL VIN history reports state the prior sale prices of vehicles. Potential buyers can compare these numbers with the current asking price of a car. With this information, drivers can make sure they do not pay above the market value.
Additional data is also contained when learning how to check VIN number information. General specifications, safety reports, title brands and towing information can also be used to assist buyers and sellers. Carefully examining the background of a used car is necessary to gain a comprehensive understanding of the vehicle’s value.
Why would I need to perform a VIN check in Illinois?
Performing an identification check on a car is necessary for Illinois drivers. There are many benefits to obtaining this information, whether the document is utilized by a buyer or a seller. For both parties, vehicle history reports provide protection for potential transactions.
A VIN report should be generated on any used vehicle a buyer is interested in purchasing. Only cars with clean records should be seriously considered. Otherwise, a consumer runs the risk of buying a vehicle that will need costly repairs in the future. Car dealers and individual sellers can advertise stable history reports when showing vehicles. Buyers can easily ask questions to sellers about past issues of a car.
How do I locate my vehicle’s VIN number?
The specific area where an ID number is found on a vehicle varies, based on the make and model. When locating the IL VIN number, drivers should look for a small sticker or metal plate. The common areas to find the ID are the driver’s side door, the dashboard, under the hood and inside the trunk. Car registration and title documents also state this number. Lastly, the number can be found on relevant auto insurance papers.
Vehicle History Report Fees in Illinois
In Illinois, it costs $5 to obtain a vehicle history record.