How to Order Massachusetts Vehicle History Reports
A Massachusetts vehicle identification number, or VIN, is a serial number provided to an automobile in order for certain details to be tracked, such as registration, insurance and the vehicle’s overall history. Drivers who wish to order VIN lookup documents can do so in a few simple ways.
Ordering a VIN number lookup is important in any state, especially for a driver who is purchasing a used vehicle, or one that is being privately sold. The VIN code will offer up essential information about the history of a car, and often, the types of information that are not normally disclosed by a vehicle owner. To find out more about how to look up the history of a vehicle in Massachusetts, continue on to the sections below.
How to Check VIN Number Information Online in Massachusetts
One of the most convenient ways to complete an MA VIN code lookup is through the instant, online method. Most drivers prefer to check VIN numbers through this method, not only because it is often the simplest, but also because it is quick. Rather than having to schedule an appointment through the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) and visit in-person, drivers can start and complete this request from the comfort of their own home.
As long as a driver has internet access and the necessary information regarding the identification number for the vehicle, the process can be completed in no time. Even without a home-based computer, a driver can visit the local library, or even complete the VIN history order through the use of a smartphone. Not having to leave the house, but still being able to complete the necessary tasks for everyday life is the true definition of convenience. Order your vehicle history report today for immediate peace of mind.
Requesting a VIN Report from the Massachusetts RMV
Visiting the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles for a VIN number check is another option to choose, but requires a bit more on the part of the driver. A few steps for visiting the MA RMV for a VIN check include the following:
- Locating the closest MA RMV
- Verifying that the RMV can entertain a lookup VIN request
- Making an appointment, if necessary
- Gathering the required personal documents for the check
What info is in a Massachusetts VIN history report?
A Massachusetts VIN number check can provide a variety of information that is essential to an automobile’s history. The most common information that a VIN check will provide, includes:
- Title history: Checking the vehicle’s personal number will provide as much information about the car title and history of the title as possible, including current title holders and previous car owners.
- Odometer rollback: If a vehicle has had an illegal odometer rollback, it will be provided when a driver is looking up VIN number
- Odometer information: This includes odometer readings, which take place each time an MA car registration occurs.
- Previous accidents: If the vehicle has been in any car accidents throughout history, this will be noted on the number check, too.
- Liens and loans: Checking VIN numbers will also provide information about any outstanding liens or loans on a car.
- Registration data: A VIN report will provide the registration history for a vehicle, including all past owners to whom the car was registered.
- Theft data: A vehicle that has been reported missing at some point will have this information recorded in relation to the vehicle’s identification number.
Why would I need to perform a VIN check in Massachusetts?
Checking VIN numbers in Massachusetts can be important for drivers for a variety of reasons. For instance, if a driver is looking to purchase a used car or privately sold vehicle, performing this check on the vehicle’s entire history since it was manufactured will provide information that a previous owner might not typically disclose.
Additionally, checking a VIN number report history will remove any doubts that a driver will have about a vehicle. For example, if the car was in an accident, stolen, put under a lien or otherwise, checking the auto history can help the new potential owner make an educated decision regarding the vehicle purchase.
How do I locate my vehicle’s VIN number?
In order to begin the process of a VIN code lookup in Massachusetts, drivers will need to first locate where the VIN number is on the vehicle. The vehicle’s code can be found in a few different areas on a car, so it is important to know where to check.
In general, the VIN code is often printed on a sticker somewhere on the exterior of the vehicle, and generally not in the interior. Common places in which the VIN sticker can be found include the below:
- Under the windshield, near the bottom corner on the driver’s side
- The engine block side (you must open the hood)
- The driver’s door near the mirror
- On the interior trim of the driver’s door, when opened
If there is any damage to the sticker, or if there is noticeable tampering, then it is imperative that you proceed with caution. Falsification of a VIN in Massachusetts is illegal. In order to avoid any issues with verification, the vehicle’s identification code can also be located on the MA registration card. Make sure the registration card’s vehicle identification number and the code located on the body of the vehicle match.
Vehicle History Report Fees in Massachusetts
Applicants will be required to pay a $5 fee for a history search, or $10 for a photocopy of the original RMV-1 credential.