Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
A Hawaii Driver's License can be renewed either in person at any driver license location in your county of residence, or by mail.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Hawaii driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed:
Driver's Age at License Issue or Last RenewalValidity of License Under 21license valid for 4 years 21-71license valid for 6 years 72 and olderlicense valid for 2 years
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the date on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the six months leading up to its expiration.
- There is no grace period in Hawaii and your driving privileges expire if you do not renew.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license or proper identification documents if the expiring license is not available
- The renewal fees, which is different in each county and depends on the validity of the license as well. The fees range between $5 and $18.
You need your vision tested, picture taken and be fingerprinted.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
You need to:
- Send a letter requesting to renew your license to the specific county
- Include details like full name, date of birth, address, Social Security Number, license expiry date and copy of current license or its number.
- The office will send you back a packet containing a Driver License Application, Medical and Vision testing forms, a Signature form and a Thumbprint impression form.
- Return the completed forms to the office.
You will be issued a new license if your record is clear. Your license will have "valid without a Photo" printed across it, if your photograph is not in the database.
You are permitted two consecutive renewals by mail.
The mailing addresses for each county are as follows:
City and County of Honolulu
Driver License Section P.O. Box 30340 Honolulu, HI 96820-0340 Fax: (808) 832-2904
County of Hawaii
Driver Licensing Section Hawaii County Police Department 349 Kapiolani St. Hilo, HI 96720 Fax: (808) 961-8861
County of Kauai
4444 Rice St. Suite A480 Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766 Fax: (808) 241-6533
County of Maui
County of Maui Service Center Division of Motor Vehicles & Licensing Attention: Renewal by Mail 70 E. Kaahumanu Ave., Suite A-17 Kahului, HI 96732-2176
- Note that Hawaii does not currently offer driver's license renewal online.
- If serving in the Military and your license expires, you have a 30 day extension period on your return to Hawaii to renew your license.
- See also Renewing a Commercial Driver's License.
- See also How to Apply for a New License or How to Replace a Lost License.
- See also Registration Renewal.