Getting an insurance means that you are financial responsible to pay for caused damages/injuries if you are involved in a accident. All drivers in Indiana must have a minimum amount of both underinsured and uninsured motorist insurance. That type of insurance can pay for your injuries in case the other driver doesn’t have proper insurance.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

The following cycles are considered as motorcycles in Indiana:

  • A motorized vehicle with a seat/saddle, which has up to three wheels, not including tractors or motorized bikes is considered as a motorcycle. This types of cycles need to be registered, titled, and insured like standard passenger vehicles. That is why motorcycles are considered the same as passenger vehicles.
  • A motorized vehicle which has no more that three wheels and runs on a battery-powered motor, or an internal combustion engine with less than 2 hp and fewer than 50 cc displacement is considered as a motorized bicycle. They mustn’t go faster than 25 mph. Mopeds belong in this category, but not in-home scooters used as personal mobility devices.
  • A two-wheeled, motorized vehicle with a seat and floor pad is considered as a motor scooter.

For more detailed information about vehicle classification, contact the BMV at (317) 233-6000.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements

Here are the minimum requirements for liability insurance in the state of Indiana:

  • $10,000 property damage coverage.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage: $25,000 bodily injury coverage for one person in a single accident.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage: $50,000 bodily injury coverage total in a single accident.
  • Underinsured motorist coverage: $50,000 bodily injury coverage total in a single accident.

You might as well check out the other types of insurance, that will suit best to your ride’s condition and financial situation before making a final commitment.

Helmet Requirements

Indiana law on helmet requirements says that every rider younger than 18 must wear a helmet and eye protection. Motorcycle older than 18 years of age may decide for themselves whether to wear a helmet or not.

Financial Responsibility

Most Indiana residents purchase liability coverage via a state-licensed insurance provider in order to establish financial responsibility. The state, has also created the Indiana Auto Insurance Plan to help vehicle owners who have been turned down for traditional policies. You can find out more about this if you speak to an agent at a state-licensed insurance company. The other options are the following:

  • A $40,000 deposit with the state treasurer.
  • A policy of liability coverage from a state-licensed insurance provider.
  • A trust fund with a market value of $40,000.
  • A bond issued by a surety company. Contact the BMV at (317) 233-6000 additional details on this matter.


If your insurance lapsed or was canceled for some reason, and you didn’t receive a policy to replace it you are facing driver’s license or registration suspension. If you commit an offence for the first time, you’ll get a 90-day suspension, and then up to one year for any other insurance lapses within a three-year period.

Getting Your Drivers License Back

You are required to pay one of the following fines in order to get your license back:

  • $150 for a first offense.
  • $225 for a second offense.
  • $300 for a third (or subsequent) offense.

You will be also required to show current proof of the required minimum insurance coverage.

Note: This may also require an SR-22 form from your insurance provider, which will stay on record with the BMV for three years. In case your insurance lapses anytime during that period, the BMV can immediately suspend your license again.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.