Motorcycle owners must insure their two-wheeled vehicles before taking them on the road. Motorcycle insurance can protect the owner of the ride as well as the motorcycle in case of an accident. Some of the motorcycle insurance types are: medical pay, comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance, rental vehicle coverage.

Financial Responsibility

Motorcycle insurance does not differ much from car insurance. There are three things you need to prove that you are financially responsible to drive a vehicle:

  • Self-insure.
  • Post a bond with the DMV.
  • Buy insurance.

In the state of Alaska the following motorcycles are defined as any vehicle that has a motor and not more than three wheels, like the following:

  • Motorized scooters (Vespa).
  • Mopeds (motorized bikes).
  • Motorcycles (bigger than 50 cc engine).
  • A three-wheeled motorcycle that is not a tractor or ATV.

Keep in mind that any type of motorized vehicle on two wheels, or three-wheeled motorcycle which is not a tractor or ATV, must be insured and registered, unless you are resident in an exempted area.

Requirements for Motorcycle Insurance

In Alaska you must have the minimum of the insurance listed below:

  • $50,000 per person for bodily injury.
  • $100,000 per accident for bodily injury.
  • $25,000 for property damage liability.

This insurance is the same as car insurance. As motorcycles in this state are very rare, there are not many companies that offer motorcycle insurance. The few that offer sometimes will only insure your motorcycle if you also have a car or other coverage with them.

Insurance and Helmet Requirements

You must not drive a motorcycle without helmet if:

  • You are a passenger.
  • You are under 18 years of age.
  • You are taking a road test.
  • You only posses an instruction permit.

You will receive a proof of insurance card by the insurance company, which you must always keep with you. This lists your policy number, name, and motorcycle information on it. You will be obliged to present the card in the following cases:

  • If you are involved in an accident that has caused more than $501 worth of damage.
  • If an officer requests to see the proof during a traffic stop.


If you get caught without your insurance card your license could be suspended, and you will be obliged to pay fines to restore it. If you get involved in an accident and don’t have an insurance or if you’re driving you are operating not insured motorcycle, you may have to file a SR-22 form (Proof of Financial Responsibility) with the DMV. You might have to keep the form on file for three years, so the DMV can keep records on whether your insurance is paid up.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.