What To Do After a Car Accident in West Virginia
Best practice guide for what you need to do in case you are in an auto accident in WV
If you are involved in an accident or collision in West Virginia, you must be prepared to act responsibly and in accordance with State law. Following are some general guidelines and more specific requirements to follow in case of an accident.
FIRST AND FOREMOST
As a responsible driver, you must never leave the scene of an accident. Not only is it essential that you provide any necessary help immediately following an accident, but leaving an accident scene can result in having your driving privileges revoked or your license suspended.
After stopping your vehicle, you should pull up as close to the accident as safely as possible, without obstructing traffic. Take a moment to assess the situation, and do not panic. Be aware of the traffic situation, and any other potential dangers, such as fire.
You should do your best to provide immediate assistance to other motorists, passengers or pedestrians that may have been injured in the accident.
Take extra care when attempting to move an injured person; if possible, wait for an ambulance to arrive. Notify 911 to report any injuries and call for medical assistance. If the accident resulted in any fatalities, injuries, or property damage exceeding $500, it is mandatory to inform the local West Virginia police, sheriff or state police department as soon as possible.
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to stay calm. If possible, ensure that you are out of danger and not blocking any oncoming traffic. Call or wait for help, and do not attempt to move if you are unable to do so. See Auto Accident Injuries for more information.
If you are involved in an accident in West Virginia, you are required to provide certain information to the other parties involved. Likewise, fellow motorists, passengers or pedestrians involved in the accident must share similar information with you.
Also, it is often wise to ask for the information of witnesses to the accident just in case you need to have them testify at a later date. The key information to exchange in the aftermath of an accident includes:
- Name, address and contact details.
- Driver license number.
- License plate number of the vehicles involved.
- Auto insurance information for the motorists involved.
It may also be useful to take photographs at the scene of the accident. If you hit an unattended vehicle, you must make an effort to find the owner or driver, and follow these same procedures.
If you are unable to locate the owner of an unattended vehicle, you are required to leave a note indicating your name and contact information, and a brief description of the accident.
REPORTING AN ACCIDENT TO THE WEST VIRGINIA DOT
- You are not required to report accidents to the West Virginia Department of Transport. However, accidents must be reported to the local police department, county sheriff or state police under certain circumstances within 5 days if any of the following apply:
- The accident caused injury or death.
- The accident resulted in properly damage exceeding $500.
- If you fail to report an accident to the West Virginia Police, you may have your license suspended. In the event that another driver offers to pay for damages and asks you not to report an accident, you are still required to file the report in any of the situations outlined above.
- Police officers investigating the accident have the right to ask for proof of valid insurance. If you did not have liability insurance when the accident occurred, your driving privileges may be suspended. You will be required to file proof of future financial responsibility (SR-22) in order to have your driving privileges reinstated.
- Notify your auto insurance company if you are involved in an accident.
- See also Auto Accident Injuries.
- In the event that you are injured in an auto accident, consider contacting a personal injury attorney. Retain copies of any medical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.
- See also Driving Record and Driving School.