HOW TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A New Jersey Motorcycle License can be renewed in person at any MVC agency in the State. The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission notifies owners of the expiration date of their motorcycle license by mail in advance.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
Your New Jersey motorcycle license expires every four years. It is advisable to renew your motorcycle license before the expiration date. You can renew your license any time in the six months leading up to its expiration. Your driving privileges expire on the midnight of your birthday if you do not renew.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring motorcycle license.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Renewal fee payable by cash, money order, check or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express).
- Documents sufficiently completing New Jersey's 6-point ID verification.
You will be issued your renewed motorcycle license after you pay the fee and get an updated digital photo taken at the agency.
HOW TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A New Jersey Motorcycle License can be replaced in person at any MVC agency in the State.
WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
You must replace your motorcycle license if your original license has been lost, stolen or destroyed.
TO REPLACE IN PERSON
- Bring proper identification. The state of New Jersey requires that you complete the 6-point ID verification, by presenting at least one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID when applying for a duplicate motorcycle license.
- Your Social Security number and an address proof are also required.
- Bring the correct fee. Credit cards, checks, money orders and cash are accepted as forms of payment. Please contact your local MVC Office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
- If your motorcycle license will expire within the next 180 days, you can renew your license instead of applying for a replacement.
Note: New Jersey residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate motorcycle license through the mail. Request the MVC for an application by calling (609) 292-6500. If you do not have a digital license, only a temporary license valid for one-year can be obtained.