is a privately owned website.* Privacy

License Plates in New Jersey


As soon as license plates are lost, stolen or illegible they must be replaced. If BOTH personalized plates are stolen/lost they must be replaced with a new plate - duplicates will not be made.

In order to replace your plates you must:

  • Visit your local MVC office.
  • Hand in any remaining license plates.
  • Fill in an application for replacement plates available only at the MVC offices.
  • Pay the license plate replacement fees, which is $6 for standard plates and $11 for special interest plates.


Regular Series

These are the different types of plates in the regular series: Auto, Commercial, Trailer, Motorcycle and Permanent Trailer Identification. Application forms are available at your local MVC office. Fill them in and submit with the appropriate fees (see below).

Special Interest Plates

New Jersey's MVC categorizes its specialty plates as follows: Personalized, Specialty and Dedicated, which are further categorized as Organizations, Volunteer Workers, Professions, Special Vehicles and Military Personnel.
For obtaining Personalized Plates, Volunteer Workers Plates, Professions Plates, Historic Special Plates and Military Personnel Plates, please visit your local MVC office to obtain the application form or call (888) 486-3339 for one to be mailed to you. Once filled, mail it along with the stated fee to the address listed on the form.
For Dedicated plates, which are divided into Service Organization Plates, Community Organization Plates and Alumni Organization Plates, you will need to call (888) 486-3339, Extension 5061 to request the appropriate application form to be mailed to you. Once received, fill it in and mail to the address listed on the form along with the stated fee.


The fees for replacing a license plate or getting new plates vary depending on the type of plate you need. For more information, please click here.
Note: For disabled drivers, please see disability plates and fees.


Under New Jersey Law it is mandatory to retain license plates from a vehicle when selling. You may transfer them to a new vehicle or surrender them at your local MVC agency.


Submitted by CAROLLYNN (not verified) on 11th Feb 2009

My engine blew. We had the

My engine blew. We had the car towed to the junk yard and did not remove the plates. I have the registration but cannot seem to get thru to anyone. Please advise how to stop someone from using them because I don't pocess them to turn in.