In Colorado, boat registration is handled by the Colorado Department of Natural Resources' State Parks division. Most new boats must be registered with Colorado State Parks before they can be sailed.
VESSELS THAT REQUIRE REGISTRATION
All powerboats and sailboats operating on Colorado waters must be registered.
VESSELS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION
- Vessels documented by U.S. Bureau of Customs.
- Canoes and kayaks do not require registration but must be clearly marked with the owner's name and address
- New boats can be operated for 30 days without registration by carrying the bill of sale on the boat when in use.
- Out-of-state boats can be operated in Colorado up to 60 consecutive days with a current license from the other state
- Foreign vessels being used in Colorado temporarily
TO REGISTER IN PERSON
- You can register a boat in person by visiting your local State Park office.
- You must bring a completed boat registration application and proof of ownership such as a bill of sale, invoice, bill of lading, certificate of origin, or out-of-state title.
TO REGISTER BY U.S. MAIL
The boat registration application, fee and proof of ownership can also be mailed to:
Colorado State Parks Registration Unit 13787 S Highway 85 Littleton, CO 80125
Note: You can also fax your application to (303) 470-0782 and pay the fee by credit card.
You will receive the registration certificate in about two to four weeks.
Annual boat registration fees depend on the size of the boat:
- Less than 20 feet in length - $25.25
- 20 feet to less than 30 feet - $30.25
- 30 feet or longer - $50.25
Registration is valid from January 1 and expires on December 31 irrespective of when the boat was registered. The transaction fee is not subject to refund, and cannot be paid for a partial year.
- Both the vessel registration number and hull identification numbers must be clearly displayed on the vessel, according to Colorado requirements.
- For additional information, see the 2008 Colorado Boating Statute and Regulations.
- For additional information on the boating program, you can contact the boating coordinator at (303) 791-1954 or email to email@example.com
- You can renew your registrations online.