Oklahoma law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Oklahoma residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Oklahoma. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, but registration renewals can be done in person or by mail.
There are late fees if you fail to register you vehicle within 30 days of moving to Oklahoma or obtaining a vehicle. After 30 days you will be liable for a fee of 25 cents a day.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Oklahoma for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- Oklahoma requires you to show proof of insurance when you register your vehicle
- Collect the necessary paperwork. Even if you bought your vehicle from a dealer you will need to collect the following papers:
- The vehicle title.
- An application for title form, which must be signed in front of the notary at the agency when you process your registration.
- A Bill of Sale or Declaration of Purchase Price.
- Visit your local tag agency with your completed forms. Be prepared to your identification
Registration fees in Oklahoma are based on how long you have owned the vehicle and whether you require specialized license tags. Remember that the initial registration fee will be higher than renewal, as you will need to pay excise tax the first time you register a vehicle.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Owners of motor vehicles in Oklahoma are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section for complete details.
- The process for registering a motorcycle is generally the same as a car registration.
- There are different procedures for boat registration and custom car registration.
- Auto insurance is needed to legally operate all vehicles in Oklahoma.
- See also Renewing Your Vehicle Registration.
- See also Title Transfers and Car Insurance.