Wyoming law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Wyoming residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Wyoming. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person and registration renewals must be done annually in person or by mail.
Remember that in Wyoming there is no grace period for renewing your vehicle registration - it will expire on the date stated on your reminder card and you must renew it on or before that date.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Wyoming for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- All vehicles in Wyoming must be insured. When you register your vehicle you must provide proof of insurance. The easiest way to do this is to obtain auto liability insurance.
- Collect the necessary paperwork. If you bought your vehicle from a dealer, then the dealer will have sent the necessary paperwork to the Wyoming Department of Transportation. In all other circumstances you will need to collect the following additional papers:
- Vehicle title. New residents in Wyoming must apply for a title before they can register a vehicle.
- A current registration certificate from out of state if you are a new resident.
- A bill of sale.
- A completed VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) inspection affidavit - again, for new residents only.
- Visit the county treasurer's office in your county of residence, and bring the completed forms with you.
Registration fees are based on your vehicle's weight, age, taxable value, purchase date and type of license plate you require. Your registration fee will include some or all of the following:
- State registration fee, which varies according to vehicle type, but is normally $15 for a passenger vehicle.
- County registration fee, which varies according to vehicle age and retail price. This is calculated using a formula - factory cost x depreciation factor x 0.03%
- Sales tax, if your vehicle is new and you have not previously paid tax on it.
- If you have requested personalized license plates, there will be an additional cost.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Owners of motor vehicles in Wyoming are required to renew their vehicle registration annually in person or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section
for complete details.