Arizona law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Arizona residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Arizona. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, and registration renewals must be done annually, either in person, online or by mail.
If you are registering a motor vehicle in Arizona for the first time, you must complete the following steps:
- Take your vehicle for emissions testing. Emissions tests must be performed at an inspection station or by an inspector that has been licensed by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ). Find out more about vehicle inspections in Arizona, or locate an inspection station near you. Once the vehicle passes inspection, you will be issued an inspection certification.
- Get a VIN assigned and a physical inspection completed. If there are no complications, there is no fee for this inspection. Otherwise, it can range from $20 to $80.
- Complete a vehicle title/registration form.
- Visit your MVD office, and bring the completed title/registration form with you, along with the inspection certification. In addition, you will need to provide proof of insurance.
- For vehicles that have been registered in another state, you must also bring the original, out-of-state title. If the title is unavailable, bring the registration document, along with proof of sales tax payment.
When registering your vehicle at the MVD office, you will be required to pay certain fees, typically as follows:
- The registration fee is usually $8.
- Title application fee, usually $4.
- Air quality fee of $1.50.
- Standard license plates cost $5; more customized options are available for a higher fee as well.
There may be additional fees
when you register, depending on the weight and class of your vehicle. Contact the MVD office
for the specific requirements.
RENEWING YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Owners of motor vehicles in Arizona are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person, online or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section
for complete details.