is a privately owned website.* Privacy

How to Register a Vehicle in Arizona

Vehicle Registration Online Services Guide

Arizona law requires that motor vehicle owners must register their vehicle with the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division before taking it on the road. Both new and second-hand vehicles must be registered, regardless of whether they are purchased from a dealer or an individual. In addition, new Arizona residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Arizona. The initial vehicle registration must be done in person, and registration renewals must be done annually, either in person, online or by mail.


If you are registering a motor vehicle in Arizona for the first time, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Take your vehicle for emissions testing. Emissions tests must be performed at an inspection station or by an inspector that has been licensed by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ). Find out more about vehicle inspections in Arizona, or locate an inspection station near you. Once the vehicle passes inspection, you will be issued an inspection certification.
  2. Get a VIN assigned and a physical inspection completed. If there are no complications, there is no fee for this inspection. Otherwise, it can range from $20 to $80.
  3. Complete a vehicle title/registration form.
  4. Visit your MVD office, and bring the completed title/registration form with you, along with the inspection certification. In addition, you will need to provide proof of insurance.
  5. For vehicles that have been registered in another state, you must also bring the original, out-of-state title. If the title is unavailable, bring the registration document, along with proof of sales tax payment.


When registering your vehicle at the MVD office, you will be required to pay certain fees, typically as follows:

  1. The registration fee is usually $8.
  2. Title application fee, usually $4.
  3. Air quality fee of $1.50.
  4. Standard license plates cost $5; more customized options are available for a higher fee as well.

There may be additional fees when you register, depending on the weight and class of your vehicle. Contact the MVD office for the specific requirements.


Owners of motor vehicles in Arizona are required to renew their vehicle registration annually, and can do so in person, online or by mail. See our Registration Renewal section for complete details.


  • If you are a non-resident active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you can title and register your vehicle online, by phone at (888) 713-3031 or by mail. If using mail, send the application and a check or money order for the applicable fee to:
    Motor Vehicle Division
    4005 N 51st Ave
    Phoenix AZ 85031-2688    
  • The process for registering a motorcycle is generally the same as a car registration; however, there are different procedures for boat registration and custom car registration.
  • Auto Insurance is needed to legally operate all vehicles in Arizona.
  • See also Renewing Your Vehicle Registration.
  • See also Title Transfers and Car Insurance.
Submitted by felixmartinezortiz on 6th Jan 2016

My daughter owes tickets on a

My daughter owes tickets on a car. Car doesnot work, I repair car. She gifted the car to me, can I register the car under my name. I have the title and transfer in my name.

Submitted by bakert on 25th Sep 2015

I am a Canadian but own

I am a Canadian but own property in Arizona and currently have a car in Arizona properly licensed / insured etc. I have a classic car in Canada that someone in the US wants to buy. Do I need to register it there first or can the new owner do the swap from Canada to the US.I would like to know the process before I trailer it 3000 miles south.

Submitted by spectrum on 23rd Mar 2016



Submitted by Donnalp on 28th Nov 2015

As long as you have the

As long as you have the title, you should be able to sell it without registering it...and let the buyer do the registering of the vehicle. That's been my experience.

Submitted by norvis on 22nd Sep 2015

My car used to be registered

My car used to be registered in AZ and was also bought in AZ. I moved out of state for two years and now I am back here permanently. Do I need to bring my car to emissions since I have already been through that process when I was originally here.

Submitted by on 18th Jun 2015

I live in Arizona but spend

I live in Arizona but spend my summers in the NW. I purchased a used boat and trailer in WA state in early June. I would like to license the trailer in Arizona but will not be home till October. How can I accomplish this? The trailer plates are good in WA until end of year so it is licensed but not legally in my name or my state

Submitted by MickeyDoodleDandy on 12th Dec 2014

I purchased a utility

I purchased a utility trailer, can I register it on line

Submitted by DOUGAZPOOL on 23rd Jan 2015

no the initial registration

no the initial registration must be in person at DMV

Submitted by widgeonalaska (not verified) on 18th Feb 2012

I would like to buy a vehicle

I would like to buy a vehicle in Arizona and leave there for use on winter vacations. Do I need an Arizona address to do this? Thanks

Submitted by MollyMarie on 16th Jan 2014

I would like to buy a new

I would like to buy a new vehicle in Arizona and register it there, to be used as a winter vehicle while vacationing here

Submitted by Richard Malcolm on 13th Jul 2014

I would like to change my

I would like to change my registration on my pick up from Calif to Arizona do I need a Arizona address to do this

Submitted by Carufel (not verified) on 16th Jan 2012

I will be purchasing a new

I will be purchasing a new vehicle in AZ but live in Minnesota. My daughter, going to school at UA will be driving the car during the school year and in Minnesota during the summers and on break. Where do we register the car Mn where the owners are or Az?

Submitted by Anonymous on 23rd Jan 2011

How much for tags of a new

How much for tags of a new 2010 dodge 350 diesel truck ?

Submitted by rebeccaleroy1 (not verified) on 25th Nov 2013

If I have purchased a used

If I have purchased a used car that had emissions testing 1 month before I bought it, do I still need to get another emissions test before I register the vehicle?

Submitted by (not verified) on 28th Sep 2009

can i get temporary

can i get temporary registration?

Submitted by Tradeshow (not verified) on 6th Mar 2012

I'm trying drive a vehicle to

I'm trying drive a vehicle to Arizona for registration. DMV in Az needs to see the car before it is properly registered. Can I get a temporary registration permit until the DMV can see the automobile on line or by mail which will allow me to drive the Vehicle to the DMV office in Bullhead city?

Submitted by on 7th Sep 2014

I am Canadian have bought a

I am Canadian have bought a car in California would like to drive it to Arizonia & transfer title & register it in Arizona Do I just come to the DVM office do I need a temporary form ....

Submitted by PaulTSatherfor RobertBorgen (not verified) on 23rd Jun 2013

I am trying to register a new

I am trying to register a new vehicle that was purchased in Fargo, ND. Robert is a resident of AZ and wouldlike to get the plates now or a 12Niagara0 day permit so he can register is person in October when he returns to AZ.

Is there a form to figure fees tax etc.

Submitted by Lee Smith (not verified) on 25th Aug 2011

what are the taxws for a 2007

what are the taxws for a 2007 GMC Acadia and can you pay for more than one year ?

Submitted by (not verified) on 6th Jun 2011

30 day temp print

30 day temp print

Submitted by arkangel9081 (not verified) on 5th Mar 2012

i ned

i ned