If you have recently purchased a vehicle through a dealership or a private seller, you will need to apply for a car registration. All vehicles in your possession must be registered in your name to be driven legally in your state. You cannot typically apply for a new vehicle registration online or by mail. You must visit a DMV office in person to register a car. To make sure that you are fully prepared for the process, download our informative digital guide. Our guide contains everything you need to know to register your vehicle with ease. You will also learn how to replace or renew your car registration, and how to change your name or address.

2. By Mail

Some states allow residents to register cars by mail. However, these applicants must meet certain eligibility requirements, such as temporarily residing out of state or having purchased the vehicle out of state. To obtain your new car registration by mail, you will need to send your completed application and all necessary documents (such as proof of ID, a bill of sale, an insurance card, etc.) to your local DMV office. You will also need to send in a check or money order for the full payment amount. Due to mailing and processing times, delays are common with the mail-in application method. It may take several weeks for you to receive your new car registration.

3. In Person at a DMV Office

In most instances, you will be required to get your car registration in person at a local DMV office. You must submit a filled-out application, proof of your identity, evidence of the car purchase and proof of auto insurance coverage for the vehicle. Additionally, you need to provide payment for all applicable fees, such as registration fees, titling fees and state taxes. Because many car owners are not sure which forms are required or which fees must be paid, application delays are common at the DMV. Additionally, any mistakes on DMV forms will add to your potential wait time for receiving your new registration.

Vehicle registration in Kansas is required for all vehicles owned by residents that will drive on state roads. Residents need to go through this process whether they have bought a new car from a dealership, bought a used car from a private seller or brought in a car from out of state. The Kansas DMV registration process is similar for all three processes, because in each case you have to go to the County Treasurer’s office in order to fill out the paperwork and get your registration. However, the documentation required for new cars, used cars and out-of-state cars are different.

In this article, you will learn all that you need to know about registering a car in Kansas: how much it costs, which documents you need to bring depending on your situation and the benefits given to active service members.

Kansas Car Registration Requirements

To get a vehicle registration in Kansas, you need to be a resident of the state. If the car was previously titled, the title needs to be signed over to you. If the car was not previously titled, you will need to get the title before you can get your vehicle registered. Depending on your situation, you may be able to title and register your vehicle during the same appointment.Once you have established residency in Kansas, you have 90 days to transfer your car title to the state.

If you have bought a vehicle in Kansas, you must get it registered within 60 days.

Car Insurance Requirements for Registering a Car in Kansas

When you go to your County Treasurer’s Office in order to register a car in Kansas, you will be asked to provide proof of insurance. This insurance needs to provide:

  • A minimum of $25,000 worth of Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection for each individual in your car, with a maximum payment of $50,000 for the accident
  • A minimum of $25,000 worth of Bodily Injury Liability for each person in the other car, with a maximum payment of $50,000 for the accident
  • A minimum of $25,000 worth of Property Damage Liability for the accident
  • Personal Injury Protection, which provides funeral costs, medical costs and other post-crash fiscal help to you and the individuals in your car, regardless of who is considered to be at fault in the accident.

To get a vehicle registration in Kansas, you need all of the above forms of insurance, but you may get other additional policies. They are not required by the government but are instead designed to give additional protection in the event of an accident.

You must buy your auto insurance from a company licensed to do business in the state. When you pay the car registration fees, the county treasurer will require proof that you have the above forms of insurance.

Vehicle Inspection/Smog Inspection/VIN Inspection Requirements in Kansas

One of the most important car registration services in Kansas for new residents is the VIN Inspection. It is not required if you bought a car in Kansas, but if you are bringing one in from out of state, the Kansas Highway Patrol will need to inspect it. When you go to one of the Patrol’s offices, you will be given a MVE-1 that shows the results of the inspection.

Registering a Vehicle in Kansas

Before learning how to register a car in Kansas, you need to determine which process applies for you. New car registrations are different than used car registrations because with used cars you simply have to transfer the title and get it registered. With new cars, you need to apply for the car’s first title.

Though you can renew your car registration online in Kansas, you cannot use this service to get your initial registration.

How to Register a New Car in Kansas

“How do I know where to register my car in Kansas?” This is a frequently asked question in the state, because you are required to register your vehicle yourself, even if you got it from a dealership. The dealership should be able to provide you with guidance, but you will need to go to the County Treasurer’s Office yourself.

The title and registration process are handled at the same time, which means you will need to bring:

  • Proof of Liability, Uninsured/Underinsured and Personal Injury Protection Insurance
  • Proof of sales tax
  • Payment for title, registration and property tax

The owners listed on the manufacturer’s statement or certificate of origin should all sign for the vehicles, unless the certificate separates their names with an “OR” instead of an “AND.” In that case, only one owner needs to sign for the vehicle.

You will also need to fill out a car registration form, but this form is not available online, which means you will need to fill it out in-person.

You will get Kansas temporary tags once you have registered your vehicle. Your permanent Kansas car tags will arrive in the mail.

Registering a Used Car in Kansas

Car registration requirements in Kansas for used vehicles can be fulfilled once the seller has signed the title over to you. You do not need to schedule an appointment with your County Tax Office. You will not be able to fill out the application ahead of time. It is only available at the County Tax Office.

This is what you need to register a car in Kansas if your seller is also a Kansas resident:

  • the vehicle’s title, which needs to be signed over to you
  • proof of Liability, Uninsured/Underinsured, and Personal Injury Protection Insurance
  • Proof of sales tax
  • Payment for title, registration and property tax

If the car was previously owned out-of-state, you will also need to provide a filled-out MVE-1 form, which proves that you got your vehicle inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol.

How to Register a Car in Kansas as a New Resident

Once you have established residency in Kansas, you have 90 days to get your vehicle titled and registered. You cannot register a vehicle online in Kansas, because the County Treasurer’s Office needs to examine your documentation in person. In order to get registered, you will need to bring:

  • the vehicle’s title.
  • proof of Liability, Uninsured/Underinsured, and Personal Injury Protection Insurance.
  • a completed MVE-1 form, which will be given to you once the Kansas Highway Patrol has inspected your vehicle’s VIN

The registration application is not available online, which means you will need to complete it in person. If your title shows multiple people own the vehicle, they may all need to be present. If an owner cannot make it, they will need to sign a Power of Attorney form over to the other owner(s).

Vehicle Registration for Military Members in Kansas

Kansas car registration fees are the same for service members and civilians, though active service members are not required to pay the property tax for their vehicles.

If you are a non-resident service member stationed in Kansas, you are not required to transfer your registration from your home state to Kansas.

Temporary DMV Registration in Kansas

You can get a temporary registration in Kansas if you plan on driving your vehicle out of the state no more than 60 days after you bought it. This permit only costs a nominal fee, and it can be used by residents or non-residents. As well, you can buy it whether you bought your vehicle from a dealership or an individual. Temporary Permits are issued by the County Treasurer’s Office.

Kansas License Plates

License plates show vehicle registration details, such as your vehicle registration renewal date, meaning that a law enforcement agent can check this information without pulling you over and asking for your registration documentation. For that reason, it is important for you to get your license plate as soon as possible.

Once you have completed your registration, you will receive temporary tags, which show you’re your vehicle has been registered. These tags are good for 60 days, by which time you should have received your license plate. If you have not, you will need to contact the County Treasurer’s Office.

Kansas Car Registration Fees

How much is car registration in Kansas? The car registration cost varies depending on the weight of the vehicle, as well as where you bought the vehicle and where you plan to drive it.

  • $35 for vehicles that are no more than 4,500 pounds
  • $45 for vehicles that are more than 4,500 pounds
  • $3 for a 60 Day Temporary Registration
  • $20 for a VIN Inspection
Last updated on Wednesday, February 13 2019.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!