Drivers all across the United States are required to carry a copy of a vehicle registration for every car that they own and operate. Every time a vehicle is transferred to a new owner, it must be registered under the new owner’s name. A vehicle registration will tie a particular vehicle to its owner, and it is often used for taxation and crime prevention and/or detection purposes. It is illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle or one with an expired registration.

Kansas motorists will need to visit their local Department of Revenue office to handle all matters regarding their vehicle registrations. These agencies are the ones that issue vehicle registrations. If a driver ever loses his or her Kansas registration, he or she can submit a request to the Kansas Department of Revenue to replace the car registration. Drivers are recommended to visit the agency that first issued their car registrations whenever they need a replacement.

When do you need to get a copy of your vehicle registration in Kansas?

There are many situations that may require you to request a copy of your registration documents, such as when you have an illegible, damaged or lost car registration. Since it is mandatory to have a copy of your vehicle registration while you are driving, you must apply as soon as possible if you need a replacement. You may need a duplicate if your copy has marking that makes the information illegible. In any of these cases, you must complete an application to receive a replacement.

How to Obtain a Replacement Vehicle Registration in Kansas

Residents of Kansas will not be able to get a DMV copy of a vehicle registration online, by mail or over the phone. The only option is to visit a local County Treasurer’s office and apply in person. Therefore, you should be sure that you have all the necessary information available in order to make the process as simple as possible before you visit the treasurer’s office. Some of the pertinent information that you may be required to provide includes:

  • Your vehicle’s license plate number.
  • Your vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Proof of:
    • Your identity with a valid drivers license or identification card.
    • The identity of any other vehicle owner, if applicable.
    • Auto insurance.
  • Payment for the DMV registration replacement

How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in Person

Once you have gathered all of the necessary information, you can head over to your nearest Kansas Treasurer’s office to replace your car registration. Typically, you will want to go to the office that first issued your vehicle registration. If you have moved to another county in Kansas, you may be able to apply for a copy of your vehicle registration in your new county.

Once you are at the office, visit the Motor Services department and request the appropriate form. Employees at the agency will be able to assist you if you require any additional help.

Kansas Stolen Car Registration Requirements

If you have a stolen car registration, you must report it to law enforcement before you apply for a replacement. Once it has been reported, you must fill out a law enforcement affidavit for lost or stolen vehicle registrations. The Kansas Department of Revenue provides drivers with a TR-109 law enforcement affidavit to report a lost or stolen vehicle registration. You will need to provide the following information on the TR-109 form:

  • Whether the registration was lost or stolen.
  • The type of registration that was stolen, such as a:
    • 30 Day Temporary Registration.
    • Kansas License Plate.
    • Kansas Expiration Decal.
  • The name of the law enforcement agency that accepted your report.

Note: It is imperative that you report a stolen or lost vehicle registration card or decal as soon as possible in order to protect your identity.

Kansas Sticker Replacement

When you have a lost or stolen car registration decal sticker, you will also need to get those documents replaced. When you visit your local Kansas County Treasurer’s office, you will need to fill out a TR-211 form. This form is also known as the Custom Plate Order and Lost, Stolen, Replacement, Exchange Plate and/or Decal Application. Since vehicle registration decals are stuck onto license plates, you may have to apply for a replacement for both the plate and the decal using this form.

Note: If you are in need of a new license plate in addition to a registration decal sticker, you may need to pay additional replacement fees.

Kansas Vehicle Registration Replacement Fees

When you submit your application for a DMV duplicate registration you must also include your payment for the replacement fees.

The Kansas duplicate vehicle registration fee is $1 and can be paid by cash, check or money order.

If you also need a replacement for the decal sticker for your license plate, that will be an additional fee of 50 cents. Once you have paid for the services, your request will be processed and you will receive your replacement shortly after.

Last updated on Monday, March 9 2020.