Kansas VA benefits are available through the office of the state Commission on Veterans Affairs (KCVAO). The KCVAO offers veterans benefits services to help military members and their families receive the many benefits available to them.

As such, available veterans assistance in the state includes programs such as Operation Recognition, homestead refunds and education assistance. Federal veterans administration benefits are also available, including VA disability pay, health care and home loan assistance. To learn more about the veterans benefits administration and to learn how to apply, review the information below.

Disability Benefits for Veterans in Kansas

Veterans may apply for VA disability pay in Kansas, including general compensation, Dependency and Indemnity (DIC) or Special Monthly (SMC). To apply for VA disability benefits, claimants must complete VA Form 21-526EZ to apply for general disabled veterans benefits, or Forms 21-534EZ or 21-2680 to obtain payments through DIC or SMC.

In addition to making federal VA disability claims, eligible servicemembers may enroll in disabled veteran life insurance, such as Service-Disabled Veterans’ Insurance (S-DVI), Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI), Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI), or Veterans’ Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI).

However, other VA life insurance options include Family Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (FSGLI) and Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI).

Note: To enroll in veterans life insurance, claimants may complete and file a paper application, or they may apply online (if applicable).

Health Insurance Benefits for Veterans in Kansas

Federal VA health care benefits include access to medical services under the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Service members who VA health insurance eligibility requirements can apply for coverage to obtain services such as preventative and emergency care, mental health treatments, assisted living and full-time housing at state Veterans’ Homes in Fort Dodge or Winfield.

To apply for VA medical benefits in Kansas, veterans must complete an Application for Health Care (Form 10-10EZ) and mail it to the following address:

Health Eligibility Center
2957 Clairmont Road, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30329-1647

Note: Service members may also apply for veterans health insurance in person at a veteran health care facility, online or by telephone at 1-877-222-8387.

Pension Benefits for Veterans in Kansas

Available VA pension benefits include payments under the Housebound program or Aid and Attendance (A&A). However, general VA pension or survivors benefits are also available to qualifying veterans and their families.

As such, service members may apply for a veterans pension in Kansas if they meet income, age and/or disability requirements. To apply for veterans pension benefits, servicemembers must complete VA Form 21P-527EZ or 21P-534EZ, depending on the type of pension they wish to receive.

To enroll in the A&A veterans pension program or to receive Housebound benefits, claimants must submit medical evidence and a physician’s report to the state’s Pension Management Center (PMC) at the following address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
Attn:  Milwaukee Pension Center
P. O. Box 5192
Janesville, WI 53547-5192

Housing Benefits for Veterans in Kansas

Available VA housing benefits include federal and state programs. For instance, Kansas veterans housing assistance is available through the state’s Veterans’ Homes in Winfield or Fort Dodge.

As such, veterans in need of VA housing assistance and medical care may apply for admittance at either of the two Veterans’ Homes if they meet all eligibility requirements and complete an Application for Admission.

To enroll in the veterans housing assistance program, servicemembers must also submit an Application for Health Care and an Authorization to Receive and Release Protected Health Information.

KS housing assistance for veterans also includes refunds under the Homestead Act. However, this veteran housing benefit is only available to servicemembers with disabilities or the surviving spouses of active duty military members. As such, applicants may file a Homestead Claim (K-40H) between January 1st through April 15th, or they may file online.

Additionally, federal veteran housing programs are available to eligible servicemembers and their families. Veterans may apply for a VA home loan or they may request free mortgage assistance.

To determine VA home loan rates, veterans must first submit a Request for a Certificate of Eligibility (Form 26-1880) to the following address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Roanoke Regional Loan Center
210 Franklin Road, S.W. 
Roanoke, VA 24011

Note: To prevent VA Foreclosures and to assist servicemembers with other financial difficulties, Regional Loan Centers offer free telephone counseling at 1-877-827-3702.

Education Benefits for Veterans in Kansas

Several Kansas VA education benefits are available to eligible military members and their surviving family members. These veterans education benefits include Operation Recognition, a program devoted to helping Korean and World War II servicemembers receive their high school diplomas.

To apply for these VA school benefits, veterans must complete an Application for Operation Recognition and submit it along with a copy of their military discharge papers. Veterans must mail applications to the following address:

700 SW Jackson Street, Ste. 1004
Topeka, KS 66603

Furthermore, the GI bill provides veterans and their families with educational benefits, such as access to on-the-job training (OJT) and apprenticeships, flight schools, and courses or training through approved institutions.

To apply for GI bill benefits, students must complete an Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) and follow the instructions on the form. In addition to applying for post 911 GI bill benefits, students may complete the following applications to obtain veteran scholarships and other types of educational assistance:

  • Non-College Degree School Approval Application
  • Institute of Higher Learning School Application
  • License and Certification Application
  • Flight School Application
  • OJT Program Application

Additional scholarships for veterans in Kansas are available through KanVet, the state’s education and veterans employment center. Through KanVet, veterans may apply for the Military Service Scholarship and access other education resources in the state.

Employment Benefits for Veterans in Kansas

Kansas VA jobs assistance through KanVet provides servicemembers with several resources. These veteran jobs resources include lists of open jobs for veterans, training services, job fairs and assistance in starting a business.

Additionally, other VA employment services are available under the Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP) and through a Local Veteran Employment Representative (LVER).

Funeral Benefits for Veterans in Kansas

KS VA death benefits are available to eligible servicemembers and their dependents. Under these veterans death benefits, eligible veterans and their dependents receive free interment in a State Veterans’ Cemetery in Fort Dodge, WaKeeney, Winfield or Fort Riley.

To pre-register for VA burial benefits, service members may complete an Eligibility Pre-Certification Application (KVCP 200) at no charge.

Note: To learn more about veterans burial benefits, contact the cemetery’s program director at 785-296-3976.

Last updated on Friday, March 6 2020.