You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any DMV office in North Carolina. In order to apply for a motorcycle permit and endorsement, you must first have a regular driver's license.
New Applicants Over 18
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle permit:
- Complete application form - original must be submitted in person; no photocopies are allowed.
- Have your picture taken.
- Pay an application fee ($15).
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the traffic signs and motorcycle knowledge examinations. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
New Applicants between 16 and 18
In addition to the above requirements, applicants between 16 and 18 must possess a full provisional license issued by the DMV. A parent or guardian's signature is also required.
Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given a learner permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Instruction Permit Restrictions
With your instruction permit you are not permitted to:
- Ride unaccompanied by a licensed rider aged 21 or older and traveling on a separate vehicle behind you.
- Drive during the evening.
- Ride with any passengers.
Applying for a Motorcycle Endorsement
- You must have had your permit for at least 6 months.
- Take the on-cycle road skills test at any DMV office.
- On passing the test, you will be given a motorcycle endorsement on your current license.
Motorcycle Endorsement & Learner Permit
- Motorcycle Endorsement: $1.75/yr
- Motorycycle Learner Permit: $15