Drivers must apply for a drivers license name change in Montana as soon as possible after changing their legal name. To change name on driving license documents, including permits and identification cards, motorists must visit a driver license exam station under the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) and state Department of Justice (DOJ). The MVD will require applicants to submit certain documents and pay a fee for a replacement drivers license or identification card with the new name.

In addition to applying for a DMV name change, motorists must notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of their new name. Drivers cannot complete the process with an MVD office until they update their name through the SSA and request a new Social Security card. To learn more about how to change name on drivers license documents or Social Security cards, review the information below.

Instances Where You Must Change Your Name on Your Montana Drivers License

Drivers must apply for a change of name on drivers license documents, permits or identification cards whenever they change their legal name after the following life events:

  • Marriage, divorce or legal separation
  • Civil union
  • Adoption
  • Gender change
  • Court order

Montana Drivers License Name Change Time Limits

When changing your name on driving license documents, you must report your new name to the SSA before you correct your driver license or ID card. However, you do not need to change the name on your Montana driving license within a specific amount of time. Instead, you submit a request whenever the time is most convenient for you. However, if you need to change the address on your driver license or ID card, then you must report the address change within 10 days of moving.

Although there is no specific time limit for updating your driver license or ID card, failure to correct your driver license may create potential issues with the MVD, including delays in receiving driver license renewal notices or discrepancies in your driving record.

How to Change Your Name With the Social Security Administration

When applying for a name change on drivers license cards, the MVD verifies that names and birth dates match the information on file with the SSA before they process the name change application. For this reason, drivers cannot change the name on their driving license until they change their name with the SSA and obtain a new Social Security card. To apply through the SSA, drivers must complete the following steps:

  • Complete an application for a Social Security card by providing your full name (former and current), Social Security Number, ethnicity, citizenship status and place and date of birth as well as the birth names and Social Security Numbers of your parents if known
  • Submit proof of identity, including a driver license, U.S. passport or state-issued identification card
  • Present proof of the legal name change, such as a certified or original marriage certificate or divorce decree, which the Social Security office will return to you after processing the application

If you do not change your name through the SSA before applying for a duplicate license, then the MVD may reject your application. The state works to protect the identity of all driver license applicants, and the division cannot issue identification unless all information matches the information in the Social Security database.

How to Change Your Name on Your Drivers License in Person

When applying for a drivers license name change in MT, you must visit an MVD driver license exam station to apply for a duplicate driver license in person. You cannot apply for a DMV name change online or by mail at this time. Additionally, you must make an appointment at a driver license exam station before heading in. You may visit any MVD station, regardless of where in the state you reside. You must complete the following application process:

  • Report your change of name to the SSA, as the MVD uses Social Security’s online verification system (SSOLV) to verify the Social Security Numbers of all driver license applicants
  • Visit an MVD station and submit a certified or original name change document, such as a marriage certificate, court order decree or judgment, divorce decree or dissolution of marriage, declaration of marriage or a certificate of naturalization
  • Complete an application for a replacement driver license if you wish to obtain a license with your new legal name
  • Provide payment for the name change and duplicate driver license

The new name on your license or identification card must not exceed 31 characters or include more than three commas. You cannot include titles such as Mr., Mrs., Dr., or Rev. Additionally, you can only include hyphens if they appear on your primary identification document.

Montana DMV Name Change Fees

After changing your name on your Montana driving license, you may obtain a replacement driver license for a $10.30 fee if you wish to display your new name on your driver license. However, there is no fee to obtain a replacement Social Security card from the SSA. When paying the MVD for your duplicate license or ID card, you may submit payment in the form of cash, credit card or check.

Last updated on Tuesday, March 3 2020.