How to replace a lost vehicle title in the state of Alabama
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
1. Complete the Application for Replacement Title.
2. If your title shows a lien holder, the lien release section of the application must be completed by the lien holder.
The non-refundable application fee is $15.00. Only cashier's checks and money orders payable to Alabama Department of Revenue are accepted.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a replacement title here:
Alabama Department of Revenue
Motor Vehicle Division -Title section
P.O. Box 327699
Montgomery, Al 36132-7699
- Processing times may vary. If you have not received your Alabama title within a reasonable time period, please contact the Designated Agent that completed your title application for assistance. If the Designated Agent cannot provide assistance, you may contact Title Inquiry at (334) 242-9102 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST (M-F).
- See also Title Transfers, Replacing Your License, and Replacing your Registration.
- See also Address Changes and Bill of Sale.