Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Replacing lost vehicle titles explained for Tennessee
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title or Registration.
- Take two identity along with the form to your local county clerk's office.
- If needed, you must include a completed and notarized Lien discharge notice with your application.
- If you are unable to go, then your assignee should carry a proof of his/her own identification and a notarized power of attorney.
You need to submit a $5.50 duplicate title fee along with your application form and the other materials.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title along with a lien discharge, if any, at your local county office, or mail the package to:
Tennessee Department of Revenue Taxpayer and Vehicle Services Division 44, Vantage Way, Suite 160 Nashville, TN 37243-8050
- If more than two weeks have gone by since you applied for a replacement title, you can call the Vehicle Title and Registration Division at (888) 871-3171 to check the status of the application.
- See also Title Transfers, Replacing Your License, and Replacing your Registration.
- See also Address Changes and Bill of Sale.