How to Renew a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Mississippi
Renewing a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Mississippi is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE
- If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local driver license office.
- Bring the following items with you to the local DMV office, when renewing your commercial driver’s license:
- Your current Mississippi commercial driver’s license.
- A valid Mississippi medical card received by a doctor certified to perform CDL physicals.
- You must also bring the correct CDL fee. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local driver license office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a background check by the Transportation Security Administration.
- To start the renewal process, you need to get your fingerprints taken at your local DMV. Fingerprinting is done only in certain locations. Contact 601-987-1246 to find your nearest participating location.
- The application for a Hazmat endorsement will be sent to the TSA for background check, after the fingerprinting is completed.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local driver license office and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal.
- You may renew your CDL up to six months before it expires.
- An additional fee will be charged for an expired commercial driver’s license. If your CDL has been expired for more than one year, you will need to take several tests in order to renew your CDL. Refer to the Mississippi CDL driver’s manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.