How to Renew a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Pennsylvania
Renewing a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Pennsylvania is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE
- A renewal notice will be sent to you three months before your CDL expires, indicating when your current CDL will expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local DOT office. If you are over 65 years old, you can choose to renew your CDL every two years.
- Once you receive your renewal notice, fill out the application and return it with a check or money order for the amount listed in the notice. You need to make the check payable to PennDOT. In the absence of a renewal notice, fill out form DL-143CD.
- Once the form is processed (usually within 7-10 business days), you will receive a camera card by mail. Take it with you along with your Social Security Card and other identification to a here near you. Once your photo is taken, you will receive your new CDL.
- You must send the correct CDL renewal fee. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local DOT office on the exact fee before going for renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $60.00 to initiate the process.
- You will receive a Hazmat Recertification notice 7 months before the expiration of your endorsement. You will have to pass the recertification exam in order to renew your endorsement.
- Go to your nearest Driver License Centre along with proof of citizenship or of legal residence in the US.
- Submit Form DL-288 to undergo a background check by the Transportation Security Administration. PennDOT will forward your information to the TSA.
- You must then go to a Pennsylvania State Police Location to have your fingerprints taken.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check. Bring the TSA approval letter to your nearest Driver License Centre, submit your renewal application and the appropriate fees to add the HAZMAT endorsement on your renewed CDL.
- If you did not receive a commercial driver’s license renewal notice, you must complete a Form DL-143CD, available at your local DOT office.
- For additional information on upgrading your license, refer to the Pennsylvania CDL driver’s manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.