In Utah, an emissions test is required for many original registrations, as well as for annual registration renewals. Renewal notices are sent annually to vehicle owners, and indicate whether and by what date an emissions test must be completed, usually no more than two months before the renewal.
Four Utah counties - Salt Lake City, Utah, Davis and Weber County require mandatory emission checks for all vehicles locally registered. Emission checks are required annually for vehicles six years or older and every two years for vehicles less than six years old. For convenience, the years of testing for the category of newer vehicles are staggered - those purchased in even-numbered years are tested in even-numbered years and those purchased in odd-numbered years are tested in odd-numbered years. For further details visit the Utah DMV website
VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST
A car, truck, motor home or RV (recreational vehicle) requires an emissions test when
- It is a 1968 model or newer
- It is driven mainly in the counties of Davis, Weber, Utah county and Salt Lake City.
Emission tests are valid for 180 days for an original vehicle registration and 60 days for a registration renewal. A valid test is also required to reinstate a suspended registration. Used car dealers are required to issue a valid emissions test for any vehicle they sell in the counties where emission checks are mandatory. Getting an emissions test is the buyer's responsibility when the vehicle is purchased from a private owner.
A vehicle is exempt from emissions testing when:
- It is a 1967 model or older
- It is a new vehicle
- It is a motorcycle
- It is bought in any county of the state other than Davis, Salt Lake City, Weber or Utah County accompanied by a copy of Form TC-820, \"Exemption Affidavit for Utah Emission Testing\".
EMISSIONS TESTING LOCATIONS
Any Authorized Emissions Inspection Station licensed by the State and most Service Stations can test your vehicle. Look for the official sign issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles to authorized testing stations. Only select stations deal with diesel vehicles. Further information on emission inspections may be obtained from the Health department of each county on the phone numbers given below
- Davis County (801) 546-8860
- Salt Lake County (801) 313 -6720
- Utah County (801) 851-7600
- Weber County (801) 399-7140
EMISSIONS TESTING FEES
The average testing fee levied by approved testing stations is $25 which is also the maximum permitted in Davis and Weber counties. The four counties also have an additional Emission Program Fee which varies according to the fuel type. For diesel vehicles, it ranges from $1 to $10 and for all others the highest is $3. See Emissions Fees for details.
EMISSIONS TEST FAILURES
If your vehicle fails the emissions test, you must have the vehicle repaired, after which it must pass the after repairs emissions test, without any additional payment within 15 days. The vehicle can be repaired by anyone.
- If you are out of state, or if your vehicle is otherwise unavailable for inspection, you can register your vehicle or renew your registration by completing the form for Exemption Affidavit of Utah Safety and Emission Requirement for Vehicles Not In Utah.
- For additional information on emissions, read How to Register and Title Your Vehicle in Utah
- See also Vehicle History Reports.