How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in Louisiana
The Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) mails registration renewal forms to vehicle owners before the expiration date of their vehicle registration, to the last recorded address. This is a courtesy extended by the OMV, but responsibility to maintain registration lies with the owner. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either through the mail, using the OMV's online service, or in person.
It can be renewed 60 days in advance or during the month of the expiration (in person). A late fee will be charged, if the registration is renewed after expiry.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
Send the completed and signed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment through check or money order payable to Department of Public Safety, to the address on your renewal reminder.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
OMV ExpressLane is an easy way to renew vehicle registration via the Internet. This service can be used by residents who have received a computer generated renewal invitation. In case the renewal notice lists additional documentation which is required or the license plate has already expired, then renewal via the Internet is not possible.
Follow these steps for renewal via the Internet:
- Go to the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles Vehicle Registration Renewal webpage.
- Have your credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) handy to pay for the renewal. The computer generated mail-in renewal invitation will also be required.
- Enter the required information and print the receipt generated. There will be a state charge for online renewals.
- The vehicle must be covered with the required limits of liability insurance or other security.
Transactions can be verified only on the following day. Invitations with the vehicle renewal ID number, which is required for online renewal, cannot be reprinted (if lost or not received). An online form has to be filled out. Please choose "General Vehicle Registration Information." Instructions given can be followed for renewal through mail or at your local Office of Motor Vehicles.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the OMV office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form, proof of insurance, along with cash/check (a driver's license number must be included) / credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Louisiana will have different fees, with the minimum being $20. The registration and titling fee is dependent on the value of the vehicle. It is 0.1% of the value of the vehicle per year. Minimum base price is $10,000.
Some offices have an additional fee ranging from $.50 - $2.00. Checks must be made out to Department of Public Safety. For more information, go here.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can still use the automated, toll-free number 1-877-368-5463 to renew, or use the online services to correct your address before renewing.
- For any other error, dial the toll-free number 1-877-368-5463 and explain the error to the OMV customer service agent