How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in Massachusetts
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) notifies vehicle owners 6-8 weeks prior to the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mailing a renewal form. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by telephone, through the mail, using the RMV's Express Lane Service, or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY TELEPHONE
You can use a phone to renew your registration only if you are registering a private passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle owned by an individual, and your renewal card is marked "Ins. Stamp Not Needed Active Policy on File". You will need a credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) to pay for the renewal transaction.
- Have your credit card and renewal form handy before the call.
- Call the following toll free numbers:
- Follow the instructions of the representative to complete the registration renewal.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- You must mail the completed registration renewal form, which is the RMV-2 form if it was received in the mail. If an RMV-2 form was not received in the mail, download and complete the RMV-3 form provided there is no change in ownership of the vehicle. Include the appropriate payment and mail it to:
Attn: Mail In Registration Registry of Motor Vehicles PO Box 55891 Boston, MA 02205-5891
- Before mailing the form, please ensure that all information is complete, outstanding dues have been cleared and the renewal card has been attested by your insurance agent, if it is marked "Ins. Stamp required".
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- You can renew your registration on the Internet only if you are registering a private passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle owned by an individual, and your renewal card is marked "Ins. Stamp Not Needed Active Policy on File".
- Go to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles RMV Express Lane website.
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) handy. A valid email address is also required to complete the process.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the RMV office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form, along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
- Ensure that your insurance agent has signed and stamped the renewal form if it is marked as âIns. Stamp required'.
FEESRegistration for different categories of vehicles in Massachusetts will have different fees as seen here.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal form that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can call the RMV Telephone Center, or use the online service to correct your address before renewing.
- For any other error, dial the toll-free numbers of the RMV Telephone Center and explain the error to the RMV customer service representative.