How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in New Jersey
The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by telephone, through the mail, using the MVC's online service, or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY TELEPHONE
You can use the phone to renew your registration. You will need a credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) to pay for the renewal transaction.
- Have your credit card, registration renewal notice and the PIN handy before the call.
- Call the toll free number 877-DMV-NJ4U (877-368-6548).
- Follow the instructions to complete the registration renewal. A fee will be charged for the convenience of using the credit card.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment in the envelope provided to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 16
Trenton, NJ 08666-0403
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Online renewals can only be done for motorcycles, pleasure boats, trailers weighing below 55,000 lbs and passenger vehicles.
- Go to the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- Have your registration renewal notice with PIN and your credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) handy to pay for the renewal.
- Online renewal will also need your social security number and insurance details.
- There is an additional convenience fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the MVC office in your area for vehicles that cannot be renewed online or in the absence of a renewal notice.
- Bring the registration renewal form, along with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card, check, money order or cash to pay for the renewal.
- Carry your license plate number as well as your insurance details.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in New Jersey will have different fees that range from $12 to $251 as seen here.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can use the online services to correct your address before renewing.
- For any other error, visit your local MVC office.